Wood-boring Larvae!?

Trebor

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi I previously had some black sappy spots on the trunk of my coastal redwood. I sprayed with neem oil the last couple weeks but then noticed what my best guess is some sort of boring larvae. Can anyone help confirm or have better ideas? I poked it with a needle and it didn't move and it was dried out feeling. Appreciate any info I can get and advice on how to treat! 2021_0120_13581400.jpg

Attachments

• 2021_0120_13581400~3.jpg
    2021_0120_13581400~3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 2021_0120_13581400~2.jpg
    2021_0120_13581400~2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 55
  • 2021_0120_13581400.jpg
    2021_0120_13581400.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 46

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It could be borers, hard to tell from the pictures. To my knowledge identification and removal is the best medicine. I would clean out the areas of anything you can find and cover with cut paste/epoxy so no further damage is done.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Trebor
I've seen similar vertical gashes on trunks and branches, and was told they could be damage from cicadas laying their eggs in there.

Not positive that's your issue but might warrant some research.

Good luck!

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I had a borer once in a pine, and I was able to follow it along it's tract by probing a hole where sap was oozing. The bark lifted a little and revealed a shallow tunnel that I followed until I found the little bugger. So I'd recommend removal if that's what it is. You should be able to probe a hole if it's a borer.
Ian

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you have borers, a systemic insecticide is appropriate. Hit your local nursery or search mail order. Be sure to read labels. Label must say "borers" for target insects. If "borers" are not listed on the label, do not assume the product will work. Also read safety precautions. It is critical you read the labels before you buy.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Did you probe the green thing that looks like a larva enlarged in the second photo?

Trebor

Sapling
Reaction score
Did you probe the green thing that looks like a larva enlarged in the second photo?
I did, it didn't feel alive or move, but after stabbing it a bunch yesterday it is no longer green. I followed the path down the truck and scraped out as much of the nonsense looking stuff as i could. Sprayed it with an insecticide and will cross my fingers. Once it appears there are no more alien looking things in the tree i think i'll put on the cut paste. Of course I welcome any ideas!

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Did you see any frass in what we believe to be a boring tunnel?
Hope its not some crazy canker.

Top Bottom