Wood Glue on American Hornbeam

tfields

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm about to take my first American Hornbeam from the woods behind my house. I'll also be doing my first trunk chop (except for an Eastern Red Cedar which I won't count). I can't get the cut paste in the mail for another week but I have wood glue (and the buds are ready to open so I need to complete the trunk chop ASAP).

I understand from other posts that I need to seal the chop on an American Hornbeam. I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck using wood glue on the AH. If so, do you cover the entire cut and onto part of the bark as well? I'm just wondering if it would impede new bud development.

I was going to move the tree to a training pot/tub that's 18" in diameter and 6" deep. I've drilled holes around the sides and bottom of the metal tub/pot. Now I'm wondering about the pine bark mulch I'll be using for a bonsai mix. Is a standard Lowes/HomeDepot bag of pine bark acceptable? Do I need to chop it up so it's the same size as the pumice I'll be mixing it with?

Thank you for any help you can provide. I've been reading about bonsai for several years and felt fairly confident until I found a nice tree - now I'm scared to make the cut!

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It doesn't much matter what you use to seal the chop, just keeping the moisture in is the important part. Cover everything that was cut, out to the (very thin) bark. If the tree wants to bud there, it'll push on through. But you don't need it to bud at the chop, there should be nodes near the chop that can work for a new leader. Look closely and you may be able to see them tight against the trunk.

You can use the pine bark mulch directly from the bag without screening for growing out your tree. No chopping needed.

tfields

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you @Zach Smith ! That's good to hear. Your information is actually what led me to try the AH. I had tried Eastern Red Cedar because we have them all over our field, but as others before me, I had no luck. Your article on AH as the Best Bonsai Tree for Beginners was outstanding - as is your website. Thank you for sharing what you know.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you @Zach Smith ! That's good to hear. Your information is actually what led me to try the AH. I had tried Eastern Red Cedar because we have them all over our field, but as others before me, I had no luck. Your article on AH as the Best Bonsai Tree for Beginners was outstanding - as is your website. Thank you for sharing what you know.
Thank you for the kind words. Glad I could help.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck using wood glue on the AH. If so, do you cover the entire cut and onto part of the bark as well? I'm just wondering if it would impede new bud development.
I started using it on advice from Grimmy my first year in. I have 2 collected hornbeams with it still on.
I use an artist paint brush and concentrate on the very edge of the bark.cambium layer but paint the entire cut with 2 coats and try not to slop it around on the bark. It stays forever,,, I used to use my finger only.
I use it on everything including Azalea and Maple and a new Korean HBeam.
I'm sure the expencive stuff is better but this works for me.

tfields

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I started using it on advice from Grimmy my first year in. I have 2 collected hornbeams with it still on.
I use an artist paint brush and concentrate on the very edge of the bark.cambium layer but paint the entire cut with 2 coats and try not to slop it around on the bark. It stays forever,,, I used to use my finger only.
Perfect! I will be using it tomorrow. Since you're in Ohio and in a similar zone as I am, I'm curious how you overwinter your Hornbeams. This will be my first deciduous tree, so my first to overwinter outside, and I'm a bit nervous about that.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just sat in mulch under my bench on the north side of the house. Pretty tough.
Best advice is to only grow trees hardy to zone 4-5 so you don't have to baby them. I have too many candy ass tree to coddle.

tfields

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just sat in mulch under my bench on the north side of the house. Pretty tough.
You just pile mulch on top of the pot above ground - or do you dig it in a bit? And did you water it any? Thank you!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This year I had new mulch so it just nestled the pot in up to the sides. Previous years they sat on the grass only.
I think they're hardy to zone 3? They don't need much coddling.

Top Bottom