Wood hardener vs lime sulfur

joe44

Seedling
Reaction score
Can you apply wood harder and also use lime sulfur over area and get the whitening effect of the sulfur? Or would the hardener stop that process. I have a bougainvilia root that is rotting, thought of applying the hardener to underside of root only if it negates the sulfur from working. If I apply hardener to all root surfaces, then sand area I want to bleach, would that work.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would deal with the wood rot first. If rot kills tree then all is lost. Pictures would help us. But I would try to remove all of the rot, taking it back to solid wood. Then depending on what I found I would probably use a hardener and worry about color later. Just my quick thoughts.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I don't think the white color from application of LS is particularly attractive on Bougainvillea, anyway.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
White dead wood is more for pines, and rotting bougainvillea's are best helped by stopping the rotting or they die.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had the same issue on a bougie stump. I dug out the rot and let it dry for a week or so, the applied wood hardener. Mother Nature took care of bleaching out the dead wood over the next year in full sun.

Top Bottom