Wood pots, Are they only valid for prebonsai? Your opinion

Fort Maple

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a collection of burls that I hope to finish for table tops and wood slabs. Can you recommend a penetrating epoxy that you have confidence in. Also if you have a preference in a clear finish.
Total boat makes great products. You can get there penetrating epoxy to the consistency of water for maximum penetration

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You guys recomend any "ecological" treatment for wood pots? teak oil? linseed oild? another?

Use rot-resistant woods. A fence post made from black locust heartwood will last a hundred years in the ground. I somewhat recently helped my dad dig up and move several fence posts older than I am to be re-used in a new location. The sapwood gets spongy very quickly, but the heartwood doesn't quit. The main drawback is that it's relatively easy to split. If I'm splitting firewood, I'd rather be splitting locust or oak over hickory or cherry.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Total boat makes great products. You can get there penetrating epoxy to the consistency of water for maximum penetration
Thank you, I will check out their products. One of the wooden boat building firms in Nova Scotia uses "Westwood" brand products but I have not used them myself.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Use rot-resistant woods. A fence post made from black locust heartwood will last a hundred years in the ground. I somewhat recently helped my dad dig up and move several fence posts older than I am to be re-used in a new location. The sapwood gets spongy very quickly, but the heartwood doesn't quit. The main drawback is that it's relatively easy to split. If I'm splitting firewood, I'd rather be splitting locust or oak over hickory or cherry.
In the Pacific Northwest, many gardeners are starting to use juniper wood to build their raised beds. it does have a limited availability but I've heard it's quite rot resistant and an ecologically sound practice as the harvest is sustainable.
Personally, I have zero experience with it but would love to read the comments of others.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Holy smokes
I blame Darwin. My reasoning follows.
1: It's called fractal wood BURNING. Why would you start a fire INSIDE your house?
2: How were they BOTH electrocuted to death before the fire even started? I'm assuming the broke the first rule of rednecks; "hold my beer," doesn't work if the person holding it joins in.

Top Bottom