work station questions

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
When setting up your bonsai work station, what type of stand do you use? Is a "lazy suzan" acceptable? The reason I ask is, I got one last weekend for $1.00, and thought it would be great for getting a good handle on how my trees look all the way around while working on them. I am still very new to bonsai, and am currently working with very little supplies and sub-par tools my father got me years ago from Amazon...
Speaking of tools, what would you suggest as good beginner tools that aren't crap?

Pointers and guidance are greatly appreciated.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A $100 dollar paint brush does not make you a master. Tools are just and extension of the artist. Develop what is within first. You will find the right tools as you go along.

But a $1.00 lazy Susan is a damn good start.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All I have is a $1 lazy Susan and it works great... what ever helps hone your skills!

I figured there no point in spending tons of cash until I have to or or I feel more confident that I will be sticking with this live stile.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When setting up your bonsai work station, what type of stand do you use? Is a "lazy suzan" acceptable? The reason I ask is, I got one last weekend for $1.00, and thought it would be great for getting a good handle on how my trees look all the way around while working on them. I am still very new to bonsai, and am currently working with very little supplies and sub-par tools my father got me years ago from Amazon...
Speaking of tools, what would you suggest as good beginner tools that aren't crap?

These are the tools you need! image.jpgThey are lifetime guaranteed.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just don't try wiring on the spinner.

I found one! Mine was less than a dollar!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A pair of bypass cutters from your local hardware or garden center. A small hand saw. Some kind of stick like a chopstick. Pliers. Wire cutters. All of these can be bought cheaply around where you live.
The only tools made specifically for bonsai you may want to buy are concave cutters and maybe knob cutters. I have a pair of concave cutters. No other fancy,made for bonsai tools.
Tools made specifically for bonsai are expensive and can be cross referenced to tools at your local hardware.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have always used a lazy susan, I have 2 sizes!!! I also have repurposed a spinning barstool that has height adjustment for a workstand. Just took the seat off, and bolted a wood top on. Now I have a height adjustable stand as well as a counter top one.
Made a small wooden booster seat for on top of the lazy susans or workstand, so if I'm working on small trees, they are easier to see at the proper height. It's important to style trees at the proper height.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I often find that I need to get above trees and look down on them, so sometimes I just use an inverted garbage can :) Or else I use a board over a garbage can. I have a nice stainless turntable as well, but I just don't use it that often...

View attachment 85809
Outstanding! I thought I was the only one who did that!!!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

As you see many of us improvise, costing a dollar or 500 is of little difference if it works for you. When I do use a lazy suzan I find a rubber door stop keeps it in place when needed ;)

Tools are the same and I find myself keeping an inexpensive set in the shed as they are handy and the same in the indoor plant room - inexpensive and honest I rarely use the expensive anymore. They are available at ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonsai-Tool-Set-Carbon-Steel-Extensive-14-pc-Kit-cutter-scissors-wt-nylon-case/310812715769?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid=555012&algo=PW.MBE&ao=2&asc=33865&meid=d3cbd0eda46b4428ac0a75a9fb24a842&pid=100034&rk=2&rkt=8&mehot=pp&sd=111637686874 Keep in mind I have hundreds of dollars worth of Bonsai tools :eek:

They really do the job just fine. There are also tools in there you may not need now but down the road like the trunk splitter. They seem stiff when you receive them but that is the packing grease in the joints. A drop of 3 in 1 oil and opening and closing them 10 - 15 times breaks it up and they work smoothly.

Depending on the types of material you are working on also often determines what you need. For example I recently purchased these for Junipers http://www.amazon.com/KJ-BRAND-STAI...d=1445745412&sr=8-5&keywords=russian+hemostat They work far better then the other types I have that most likely cost a total of 15 - 20 times more.

Those are just a couple of examples. Feel free to ask any questions about other items and welcome to B-Nut! :)

Grimmy

Last edited:

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I got a 750lb capacity turntable bearing on Amazon for less than $10 - attached it to a couple of boards and a piece of plywood, and I have an ugly, but very smooth and heavy duty turntable! It spins even a big plant in a cement mixing tub beautifully.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just use an inverted garbage can :) Or else I use a board over a garbage can.
It's the California way!
Definitely. I've been meaning to screw together one with the little "stops" like that; thanks for the reminder! The board alone is a little precarious.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do everything on the kitchen table.

EVERYTHING!

jumping jacks too!

Sorce

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As you see many of us improvise, costing a dollar or 500 is of little difference if it works for you. When I do use a lazy suzan I find a rubber door stop keeps it in place when needed ;)

Tools are the same and I find myself keeping an inexpensive set in the shed as they are handy and the same in the indoor plant room - inexpensive and honest I rarely use the expensive anymore. They are available at ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonsai-Tool-Set-Carbon-Steel-Extensive-14-pc-Kit-cutter-scissors-wt-nylon-case/310812715769?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid=555012&algo=PW.MBE&ao=2&asc=33865&meid=d3cbd0eda46b4428ac0a75a9fb24a842&pid=100034&rk=2&rkt=8&mehot=pp&sd=111637686874 Keep in mind I have hundreds of dollars worth of Bonsai tools :eek:

They really do the job just fine. There are also tools in there you may not need now but down the road like the trunk splitter. They seem stiff when you receive them but that is the packing grease in the joints. A drop of 3 in 1 oil and opening and closing them 10 - 15 times breaks it up and they work smoothly.

Depending on the types of material you are working on also often determines what you need. For example I recently purchased these for Junipers http://www.amazon.com/KJ-BRAND-STAI...d=1445745412&sr=8-5&keywords=russian+hemostat They work far better then the other types I have that most likely cost a total of 15 - 20 times more.

Those are just a couple of examples. Feel free to ask any questions about other items and welcome to B-Nut! :)

Grimmy
This is the set I have, and it is perfectly fine. They do dull out very fast- what do you sharpen them with? I need a new tool to sharpen them...

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I try to do.... "every thing" on the table. .. the wife don't dig it... it unsanitary I gess!

Top Bottom