Working on my own.... Ficus microcarpa 'Green Mound'

ERIKA

Yamadori
Reaction score
Being trained as a windswept... Have a nice day everyone...

Attachments

• IMG_4688.JPG
    IMG_4688.JPG
    397.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4689.JPG
    IMG_4689.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4690.JPG
    IMG_4690.JPG
    316.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4691.JPG
    IMG_4691.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 50

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi, New here and was wondering while looking around the place and this post came up. I like the stone you planted it on. Very nice.

Curious about this style. Do the trunks grow into the wind like that? I guess they probably do but would it look more natural with the whole trunk too straining with the wind?

is.jpgis (2).jpgis (3).jpgis (4).jpgis (5).jpg

ERIKA

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi, New here and was wondering while looking around the place and this post came up. I like the stone you planted it on. Very nice.

Curious about this style. Do the trunks grow into the wind like that? I guess they probably do but would it look more natural with the whole trunk too straining with the wind?

View attachment 198586View attachment 198587View attachment 198588View attachment 198589View attachment 198590[/QUOTThank you... And you are right, the trunk should be bending towards the general direction of prevailing winds if the tree started out under constant condition... my interpretation though, is not based on prevailing winds but of a mere blowing breeze reflected on the movement of the branches... Forgive me if I don't follow the strict rules of the traditionalists...

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice pictures and tree, I do think the big tree has a lot of branches close together there in the top, and I also see a crossing wire.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Interesting! I am growing a cutting of 'Green Island' that might become a windswept tree.

Bananaman, there are two "sub-styles" of windswept bonsai. Your photos (which I really like) are examples of the first, more common style. The second is as Erika describes; a tree caught in a moment of high wind. In this style, the trunk and canopy of the tree do not bend away from a prevailing wind, but the branches and foliage do bend as blown by a sudden gust or storm. I once saw a beautiful Chinese elm in the second style. That tree had a ton of wire on it!

ERIKA

Yamadori
Reaction score
Interesting! I am growing a cutting of 'Green Island' that might become a windswept tree.

Bananaman, there are two "sub-styles" of windswept bonsai. Your photos (which I really like) are examples of the first, more common style. The second is as Erika describes; a tree caught in a moment of high wind. In this style, the trunk and canopy of the tree do not bend away from a prevailing wind, but the branches and foliage do bend as blown by a sudden gust or storm. I once saw a beautiful Chinese elm in the second style. That tree had a ton of wire on it!

Thank you for the appreciation... And I'm glad that someone else sees the reality in nature of my interpretation :D

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I find that the "frozen moment" windswept style looks better if you step a tiny bit into saikei/penjing and add let the accessories help tell the story.

Here's a couple of examples of what I mean:

545634903cb435.49542232.jpg
source

54105eba6a4fd1.29378099.jpg
source

I hope you continue to update us on the progress of your tree!

ERIKA

Yamadori
Reaction score
I find that the "frozen moment" windswept style looks better if you step a tiny bit into saikei/penjing and add let the accessories help tell the story.

Here's a couple of examples of what I mean:

View attachment 199377
source

View attachment 199376
source

I hope you continue to update us on the progress of your tree!

Thank you for your insight... Yes, you are right about it lacking components to be able to communicate its story... the tree is still a work in progress and it really has a lot of room for improvement... I will surely post updates :D

Top Bottom