Workshop boxwoods

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I jut re potted 15 collected boxwoods that will be used in a workshop I'll be leading at the GSBF convention this fall. I collected them from an old hedge and they have great muscular trunks. The eight best will be for the workshop.

workshop trees.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I jut re potted 15 collected boxwoods that will be used in a workshop I'll be leading at the GSBF convention this fall. I collected them from an old hedge and they have great muscular trunks. The eight best will be for the workshop.

View attachment 293174
Love the size , looks like some interesting material. Mature trunks a big plus from the outset.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Indivigies or you lie!

Nice!

But I wanna see em!

Sorce

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey, @PaulH, How long ago were they collected?
They seem to have been chopped and flushed out, which takes time with a boxwood.
I've got 1/2 dozen 60 year olds coming out of my front walk this year.
CW

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
How long ago were they collected?
They were dug winter 2018 and chopped. All new foliage grew last season and will be ready to wire by fall. My experience is that new foliage buds and grows quickly on collected boxwoods.

RudderRat

Seed
Reaction score
I have 2 collected boxwoods, similar trunk diameters but quickly ramifying into much thinner branches to form a traditional round bush shape. I'd love to create something similar to the material you are developing to eventually wire up into an upright shape. 2 questions:
1) I live in Utah, average temps right now ~50 degree F. Is it the right time of year for a hard chop?
2) I collected the trees ~15 days ago and currently have them in pots awaiting repotting. Do you have any recommendations on soil composition?

Thank you!

Top Bottom