Workshop Double Trunk JM Progression

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi I'm new here! Long time lurker. I hope to continue learning from you all.

This is one of my favorite JMs in my collection, through I've only had it for 2 years. The nebari is superior but I dont have photos this time. The base is about 6" across and I want it to top out at ~2-2.5 feet tall.

My main question: I can't decide between "natural" style branching where the branches maintain an upward motion or an abstract Japanese style maple where the branches are all almost horizontal and pine-like. Would love to hear your thoughts. I am not against rebuilding all the branches since its so early.

Tree as it is this morning February 2020 in a pot I made. I plan to cut at the red marks this summer including rebuilding some of the branches. I plan to have the main trunk fill to the right and force the minor trunk to stay low and forward.
InkedIMG_0354_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_0355_LI.jpg

Fall 2018 when I first got the tree. The biggest flaw was the minor trunk had a long straight section which I later cut down.
DSC05235.JPG

Spring 2019. The straight section is cut
IMG_3142.JPG

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
While I am a big fan of the natural upright branches on JM I'm not sure it would work well on this trunk. The main trunk leans to the left which would make it difficult to put upright branches on that side, especially if they come from existing branch bases.

The current twin trunks compliment each other well. Congrats on being able to make that previous chop and grow the new smaller trunk.
Existing branches are well placed and have been well developed so far so I would retain them and keep going on that path. If I need to be really picky some more movement in the main stem of that lower right branch would be desirable.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
While I am a big fan of the natural upright branches on JM I'm not sure it would work well on this trunk. The main trunk leans to the left which would make it difficult to put upright branches on that side, especially if they come from existing branch bases.

The current twin trunks compliment each other well. Congrats on being able to make that previous chop and grow the new smaller trunk.
Existing branches are well placed and have been well developed so far so I would retain them and keep going on that path. If I need to be really picky some more movement in the main stem of that lower right branch would be desirable.

I see what you mean. Thanks for your input. I probably will stick to the horizontal path then.

Which stem needs more movement? Did you mean the lower left one? Or the small trunk? I hope in time the smaller trunk will round out...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 b
I see what you mean. Thanks for your input. I probably will stick to the horizontal path then.

Which stem needs more movement? Did you mean the lower left one? Or the small trunk? I hope in time the smaller trunk will round out...
Hey brother looks like you are hanging in there . Stay safe .

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Apologies. I was referring to the lowest branch, right side on the main trunk - circled in blue
JM 0.PNG
Looks quite straight from this angle compared to the branch above and most of the others. It still needs to thicken so maybe pruning to a side branch later will provide the bends needed but if it is possible to wire and get a bend in that straight centre section it may help.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Removing that particular (blue circled) branch would accentuate the straightness of the trunk and is the last branch I would remove for any reason.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

You can also cut back TO that branch someday.

Sorce

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey brother looks like you are hanging in there . Stay safe .
Hey M! Yeah everything is alright here, glad to hear from you. That pine I got from you at Canby two years ago is doing great, I have to send you a pic

Top Bottom