workshops

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
have been growing bonsai for many years, and i love my trees. embarassed to say that i have never been to an official workshop with a bonsai master. signed up for two coming up. what tree do you take? do you take one that has never been worked on? or one that you just need a professional opinion? the workshop is for 4 hours, if you just need an opinion, what do you do for the rest of the time? i'm kind of lost: any suggestions?

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is the title of the workshop? How is it being described? That may indicate what you need.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I generally take 2 or 3, some I go to are all day and I bring all I can. Some for advise, a bit of tweaking wired branches, others I ask for initial styling advice.

Depending on who the artist is you could spend the whole 4 hours wiring 1 tree. Who is the artist?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely depends on the artist and what they're like and what they've been asked to do in their programs. Some might pend time advising, if the program doesn't have a proscribed itinerary.. Some will stick to the program and work exclusively on the workshop material provided (IF material is included in the price).

redvw5

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bring all your tools you have and something to write down notes so you won't forget. Be open to suggestions remember thats what you came for. Have fun and don't get frustrated everyone has to start somewhere.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Time not spent on your trees watch and listen as others material is talked about and worked on, hope you can multi task.:)

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Yamadori is right: what's the description of the workshop?

Is this by any chance at the Mid-America Bonsai Show in Chicago, this weekend?

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
The workshop is with Suthin S. It is for four hours (after a lecture on shohin). The only thing that was said was "bring a tree to work on". Like the idea of bringing 2 or 3 that need tweaking. but then there's that other one.... hmmmmmmm

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bring 3 trees and show them to Suthin. He will tell you which one to work with. And I'm sure he will give you hints for the others. Tell him I told you.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cubbie you aren't going this saturday are you, if so I am as well.

Walter said it best, he done a few too so he knows;)

Bring lots of wire and patience, even the small wire he likes everything wired.

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cubbie, I think you will enjoy the workshops. I went this past Saturday with some club members,we spent from about 10:30 am to 4:30 pm working on all we brought.

I had 3 trees with me and we worked on all 3 , he saw some things in them I didn't, what a differance, I left there very happy.

Bring trees, biggest issue would be room to transport them, bring your tools and wire, sized for every branch and trunk of your trees, carving tools, saws, bring it all because Suthin will do things that many don't think of, you are going to learn, have fun, and come away with your trees all the better for it.

Ficus and Junis are great but he is good with almost anything.

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
thanks for the info.... i am really looking forward to this. books are nice, but there's nothing like being able to ask questions and get answers about MY trees.

Top Bottom