World-class dwarf Alberta spruce

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By Nick Lenz, no less.

From the "native trees" section of the bonsai collection at the Montréal Botanical Garden. I asked the curator about their bad reputation as bonsai, and he looked at me like I was an alien. I guess they become easier to cultivate after a few decades in a small pot?

IMG_20180902_114111.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Who knew?

Notice how vertical the upper branches are, and how the ends of lower branches rise. Looks like it needs a complete wiring out almost yearly to keep it's shape. This is a well done older tree that hints at the trouble with 'Dwarf Alberta Spruce. Typically the "youthful habits" of a tree will be less pronounced with 55+ years of maturity. It is clear some of the issues with Dwarf Alberta Spruce will continue into "old age". Springy growth that constantly wants to bend up vertical is the big complaint with Dwarf Alberta Spruce.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well this should provide plenty of false hope to bonsai noobs this holiday season. :)
They got me last season already. I'm not falling for that again!
Also, Italian stone pine are being sold around here like hot buns on a sunday, 4 bucks a piece. I'm guessing we'll see a lot of those pop up from Europe coming winter. And yes, I fell for that too.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know the history of this particular tree, but I would guess that it didn't start as a typical Wal-Mart or nursery grown Alberta spruce. It is probably worked from a collected tree.

I kept nursery-sourced Alberta spruce for 20 years (they are unkillable). The NEVER developed into much, as their limbs always tried to grow UP not out, as here.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
By Nick Lenz, no less.

From the "native trees" section of the bonsai collection at the Montréal Botanical Garden. I asked the curator about their bad reputation as bonsai, and he looked at me like I was an alien. I guess they become easier to cultivate after a few decades in a small pot?

View attachment 215357
Just wondering who decided this was world class?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thems is fightin’ words son! ?. Getting my popcorn ready.
It is wonderful to be called son at my age! The observation is an honest one. But I guess it depends on ones exposure to show quality bonsai. I have visited a number of " known" displays and found the Bonsai to be disappointing, particularily in the manner in which they have been maintained given the financial support and lack of professional staff to keep the collection in top form. Frequently a big name is associated with the collection but spends little or no time actually working on the collection. So it is not a disparagement on the initial designer or developer.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Have you seen a better example of this particular cultivar? I'm not sure if I have. Asking out of curiosity, not arguing.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree was in his great book Bonsai from the wild. It is in the opening discussion of the art of bonsai. He grew this inthe ground for 16 years, root trimmed every 3. It is a great example of a truly skilled artist and patient grower. These spruce are regarded as garbage trees, yet Mr. Lenz was able to make a great bonai from it. Here is a photo from his book.20181106_170625.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Have you seen a better example of this particular cultivar? I'm not sure if I have. Asking out of curiosity, not arguing.
Nope, But that does not make this world class or any other description. I am just judging my observation on nebari, trunk movement, taper, bark ; primary secondary branch formation and foliage pad development. Simple thing, not if it is better than something else i saw. Most trees are judged on a particular format adapted to their species.
I am curious, what about this tree would you consider world class
This tree was in his great book Bonsai from the wild. It is in the opening discussion of the art of bonsai. He grew this inthe ground for 16 years, root trimmed every 3. It is a great example of a truly skilled artist and patient grower. These spruce are regarded as garbage trees, yet Mr. Lenz was able to make a great bonai from it. Here is a photo from his book.View attachment 216522
I have the book and understand the reference! Just do not share the opinion.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I am curious, what about this tree would you consider world class.
I didn't say I did consider it world class (not really a label I like or would use anyway). There are a lot of things about it that I like, but I've also seen many trees I prefer and that would be seen as 'better' in terms of the characteristics you list. However I don't think I've seen a better tree *of this species* which is why I was curious.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny thing about the Montréal botanical garden is that it has a few beauties from Nik, like the Canadian winner at the Nationals. Yet in some of Niks interviews I have read he found Montréal to be too stuffy, and traditionalist. I believe he called them broccoli heads.? I just wish he was still active in the growing North American bonsai community.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are 90~100 degree thread grafts no help to its vertical tendency? I understand they won't grow out well, but would it stop developed twisted padded branches from rising entirely?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thread grafting an evergreen is nigh impossible due to trying to shove a branch with needles through a hole against their grain.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree that institutions do not maintain their "world class" trees properly. They are not nearly as aggressive as they need to be. Trees will always be evolving back to type and it is necessary to do more than just clip & grow touch-up trees. It's more difficult to keep a tree tidy and the same size than to grow it up. That means anticipating future growth, and it includes some years where they are not presentable because of periodic major work driving it back in. Institutions are too timid and don't want to overstep. They want to "maintain" an appearance and are scared of doing major work to drive foliage back to the interior which is very difficult with trees like DAP. Eventually, they have to hire a big name to come in and recombobulate their trees. Here's mine.

Top Bottom