World class?

pine queen

Seedling
Reaction score
I often hear about, well sometimes hear about World class bonsai. I do I know if I own a World class bonsai and who determines this ranking please?

PQ

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have to ask how it's determined, you don't own one :D

"World Class" is a loose phrase that can cover alot of territory--depending on whom you ask. Loosely, it means that the tree has, or could, compete in a big exhibition. That means it's usually been expertly designed and tended usually for more than five years or so. In Japan, that means big shows like Kokufu Ten and others, where there is a long-standing tradition of exhibiting. In the US, there are no "designations" for bonsai. Here, "World Class" usually just means "exceptional" tree and encompasses all the subjectivity that adjective carries

Last edited:

pine queen

Seedling
Reaction score
The reason I ask is I was thinking about entering a tree picture to the 2nd US National Bonsai Exhibition. I guess they need to be World class trees to get the thumbs up from the selection committe?
No trees from last year are allowed, did I read that right? I have a bonsai that people always ask about. I tell them that I designed and grew it and they go "yea....right" and leave.

PQ

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The reason I ask is I was thinking about entering a tree picture to the 2nd US National Bonsai Exhibition. I guess they need to be World class trees to get the thumbs up from the selection committe?
No trees from last year are allowed, did I read that right? I have a bonsai that people always ask about. I tell them that I designed and grew it and they go "yea....right" and leave.

PQ

So show us a photo.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Show the photo! :D Please:)

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
PQ, You should send it to Bill and get the the thumbs up or down. If the notion of submitting your picture makes you feel a bit squeamish I would bag the thought of displaying at the 2nd National Exhibition all together. Bill will be far more gentle in his critique than the attendees.

Just a thought ;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would suggest that Piney Queeny does not possess such a tree or is loath to show it for his own obscure, tangled, and confusing reasons.

pine queen

Seedling
Reaction score
PQ, You should send it to Bill and get the the thumbs up or down. If the notion of submitting your picture makes you feel a bit squeamish I would bag the thought of displaying at the 2nd National Exhibition all together. Bill will be far more gentle in his critique than the attendees.

Just a thought ;)

Sounds like a good idea! Is Bill the sole committeeman?

PQ

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would suggest that Piney Queeny does not possess such a tree or is loath to show it for his own obscure, tangled, and confusing reasons.

Chris; you are more astute than you realize.

The interesting thing about trolls... just give them enough rope to hang themselves and they always will :)

Top Bottom