Worried about imported Itoigawa juniper

DamianTrimboli

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello guys! Damian from Argentina again.
This time I want to ask you about a shohin itoigawa juniper I brought last year from Europe (Spain, bought to El Tim bonsai), but originally from Japan.
Im really worried because it has not grown for a year now. I brought it here to Buenos Aires (Southern Hemisphere) in December 2019. After one year, it still has the same quantity of green. It would imagine that it would take some time to regain vigor because of the change of hemisphere.. but one year without grow it's like too much.
The soil was pretty compacted when I got it, so I waited till end of winter to repot it in an slightly bigger container, with 50% pomice and 50% akadama. Put it inside the greenhouse with the idea of waiting till it grows a little to then move it to partial sun and then full sun.. but since it hasn't grown anything Im afraid to take it out of the greenhouse! so its still inside there for about 3 months. Is kinda hot right now, so the greenhouse is open and I activate 2 times a day a fogger to keep the humidity high.

October 2019 - Photos in Spain, before being bought.
d1a30242-e4c9-4de5-acb0-ec668fd131b6.JPGa32bf0d2-4a1e-47ba-b15a-e8dedacce7f0.JPG5aac2dea-96d3-433d-b06a-34cddfb58745.JPG

May 2020 - In Buenos Aires since december (5 months). No growth, but good color.
1a20fcd7-d9a4-40fd-a3f3-59475fe39fe0.JPG
December 2020 - Now (12 months since import, not death, but no growth and i don't like the color)
9cb389d2-9b04-4490-b9cf-1a3251fa8957.JPG6f72a467-dc37-4351-b51c-a1b979524c2d.JPG

What would you do if you were me? Of course i will not wire it or style it until at least 2 years of free grow.. but I need it to grow and regain health and color first!

Thank you so much!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personal instinct suspects tree not happy/confused with change in hemispheres/seasons and moving to tropics(?). Has it had a Winter season in 12 months🤨?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is it still in the shade in your greenhouse?
I think that dormancy or the lack of a dormancy can be a problem, but it should have grown a little at least.
How did the repotting go? Did you remove a lot of roots? If the repot was a bit agressive, junipers can stand still for a while.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Slick trunk! You're battling @HorseloverFat for the most hippie wristwear!

Sorce
Dang! Nice tree!.. that wrist looks ALOT like mine, Sorce!

You tie em on... as personal effects or accepting “adornments”....

You never “take” them off... they FALL off.. eventually..

🤣

DamianTrimboli

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It only had a winter in 18 months.
last winter in Europe: December-March 2018, then spring, fall, spring, summer, fall, winter, spring.
But the winter here is not like the winters in Japan or north Spain.

DamianTrimboli

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The repot was soft, I only removed the compacted soil in the sides and bottom. Roots were healthy.
Inside the greenhouse I have it in partial shade.
Do you think is time to get it out of the greenhouse?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would say, take it out.

Just looked at climate graph for BA, and I would say: The climate is fine. I would not worry about dormancy troubles

How are you fertilizing / watering? How much sun is this getting?

As you are at the start of summer there, I would not drop it straight from the greenhouse into full unprotected sun. But a bit more light, air movement, and good fertilizer & watering.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would think the tree would need a gradual shift from cold, dark conditions to warm, sunny conditions to trigger spring growth.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Fertilizer, sun, water and patience.

I am surprised you repot quickly, was there a particular reason?

Argentina has interesting weather, do you have cold winters?

DamianTrimboli

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@chicago1980 I repotted because of the compacted soil.. more than 20 seconds to drain

Argentina is big.. it has cold winters (especially in the south or near the mountains.. but I live in buenos aires, it's more like southern italy, southern spain.. we only had snow once 10 years ago (and before that, 100 years ago). Winter is in the range of 2 degrees celcius and 10 degrees celsius but not a long winter either.

Top Bottom