Worried about my 3 months old blue flower Jacaranda

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
An important component of plant life is circadian rhythm. Plants get ready for the off season as a result of experiencing diminishing photo-period, sunlight intensity and warmth, and dry air that usually accompanies autumn. Plants go into dormancy slowly and duplicating that whole process artificially is at least difficult. Almost every place on Earth has a period when the weather forces plants into some kind of minimal activity. Winter in temperate zones and shifting winds bringing a dry season in the tropics. So, this is a rest period that is built into the genes of most plants and may be more important than we realize in keeping tropicals in our homes in non-tropical zones.
Serious question: If his tree is only 4 months old, it has not yet had the chance to experience this rhythm. Wouldn't a plant have to experience at least 3 seasons for this to mean anything?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Serious question: If his tree is only 4 months old, it has not yet had the chance to experience this rhythm. Wouldn't a plant have to experience at least 3 seasons for this to mean anything?
IMHO, it's a genetic proclivity. A Maple is gonna go to sleep come hell or high water, either at the end of autumn or sometime in mid-winter in a house or greenhouse from which there will be no wake up call. You can't fool Mother Nature!

~IMHO.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cannot trick the flow...

Even the mighty Salmon.. loses it’s life against the flow...

People are trying to help you.... people who have “been there”..

One needs to be susceptibly “fluid” to criticisms/direction/guidance..

ESPECIALLY when “new” to something..

EVEN MORE ESPECIALLY when INQUIRING about certain aspects/processes of said “something”.

I truly hope your plant thrives..

But I did, honestly, stop reading shortly after starting... I normally don’t do this.. but I saw.... a request about a problem... then, similar solutions, posed by a few... which were SEEMINGLY (I may be wrong) “argued/fought” against... seemed counterproductive.

I hope you, AND your tree find success/balance. These are a neat species.

🤓

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a circannual rhythm you're taking about. Circadian rhythms are important to but that's day/night not the seasons.
Ya know, I couldn't find the right word...

Hawk Force

Seedling
Reaction score
Over watering is a problem, for me at least. I’m an Aquarius, so…anyway jacaranda don’t like to stay wet. They are a bit forgiving, but I think with all that akadama your soil stays pretty moist/wet. I have to force (lol) myself to give a drying cycle to this tree. Soil should be allowed to dry between watering. It’s what I read months ago when I first got a jacaranda and it’s been growing very vigorously. As far as feeding, a tiny pinch of fertilizer will suffice. 10 10 10 would be perfect, but I doubt that’s a solid fertilizer. Solid slowly melts away and feeds over time. Liquids are more immediate, but not. Most of it goes out the bottom of the pot, wasted. (IMO) also I see negative effects from liquids not solids. If and/or when I use a liquid it’s a 3 3 3, anything else seems to effect it adversely. I’ve been using an 18 4 10 and seems to work great. I don’t use a scoop, I just use fingers and add a pinch here and there. Over fertilizing causes reverse osmosis and will drive nutrients out of your tree. Most call it burn, but it’s way more of a mechanism than a chemical burn. Seedlings really need to be left alone for a very long time! Yours looks good, but I fear you’re fussing over it too much. I know it’s in the nature of bonsai to want to do it, but that’s the patience of the art. It’s taken me a long time and many trees to gain this wisdom, though I still have to fight my urges to water, fuss, and feed! LoL

Top Bottom