Worth $300?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not sure what you guys saying "no" are expecting for that price? The prices for everything have increased dramatically and that includes bonsai stuff.
Just came back from MABS and saw some crazy prices on small trees o_O

I spent the same for a similar tree last year, and I think the one posted has a nicer base than mine, honestly
You aren't going to get a 6 inch trunk for a tree grown specifically for bonsai for $300.
Yea you can get a landscape tree with the same size trunk for less but it would require a lot more work and time to develop in to anything.

If anyone can find a tree of the same size in a bonsai pot that was grown as a prebonsai, not a landscape tree you need to chop down for a lot cheaper ($150-$200 or less), post it.
Ya but with the know how you can easily eclipse that quality of tree that OP was referring to in a few short seasons taking from nursery , seed grown and not grafted. I have seen good Trident maples in nursery cans , grown from cuttings for 45 dollars and the trunks are 1” diameter , they developed fast.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I find it helps if I can reference what is possible for a well structured tree when checking out the potential of rough stock. For example I would ask myself if I can create a smaller or larger version of a trident like this?
A shorter tree would look better with faster taper in my mind and a taller tree with more gradual taper and a slender look at least in my opinion.
So when judging potential for a Shohin tree I would avoid straight sections with slight taper and watch out for inverse taper where the branching begins. Both evident in my view as I scan the picture presented in post one of this thread.
So my reasoning is that if I want a Shohin I would have to rebuild from a lower point for balance and proportion. Thus I would not pay $300 to rebuild the lower portion of the trunk and sacrifice the rest.
I always remind myself that changing the trunk and nebari is the hardest.
The one posted in this thread originally has better potential for a mid size tree in my opinion than a Shohin. Correcting the beginning of inverse taper for a larger tree is quite possible over time with removal of some branching and energy balancing of the rest.
The pictures posted on the others available prove challenging to gauge with little view of nebari and also a lot of straight sections. It is impossible to see what may be needed to fix the nebari in any of the potted field grown stock. If one could personally examine the trunk and nebari before purchase there may be good value in some of those pictured. Based on pictures alone it is a big unknown.

Attachments

• ky76.JPG
    ky76.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 36

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I find it helps if I can reference what is possible for a well structured tree when checking out the potential of rough stock. For example I would ask myself if I can create a smaller or larger version of a trident like this?
A shorter tree would look better with faster taper in my mind and a taller tree with more gradual taper and a slender look at least in my opinion.
So when judging potential for a Shohin tree I would avoid straight sections with slight taper and watch out for inverse taper where the branching begins. Both evident in my view as I scan the picture presented in post one of this thread.
So my reasoning is that if I want a Shohin I would have to rebuild from a lower point for balance and proportion. Thus I would not pay $300 to rebuild the lower portion of the trunk and sacrifice the rest.
I always remind myself that changing the trunk and nebari is the hardest.
The one posted in this thread originally has better potential for a mid size tree in my opinion than a Shohin. Correcting the beginning of inverse taper for a larger tree is quite possible over time with removal of some branching and energy balancing of the rest.
The pictures posted on the others available prove challenging to gauge with little view of nebari and also a lot of straight sections. It is impossible to see what may be needed to fix the nebari in any of the potted field grown stock. If one could personally examine the trunk and nebari before purchase there may be good value in some of those pictured. Based on pictures alone it is a big unknown.
I’d pay 300 for that

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have one of these tridents. Personally I think these are a better deal than the OP.

All of those trees will require a chop and a lot more time and work to get to the point that the first one is at.
All of them have long straight trunks that will need to be reduced then have branching developed and the wounds healed.
OP tree has already been reduced and is tall enough to just needs branch development which would take a lot less time than the others.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ya but with the know how you can easily eclipse that quality of tree that OP was referring to in a few short seasons taking from nursery , seed grown and not grafted. I have seen good Trident maples in nursery cans , grown from cuttings for 45 dollars and the trunks are 1” diameter , they developed fast.

In a few short seasons the tree in the OP will have much improvement over a nursery tree with a 1 inch trunk assuming the person knows what to do.
Growth rate will also greatly depend on location. A trident can be grown much faster in southern California than it can where I am because the climate and seasonal weather a vastly different. There is a guy here named Smoke who doesnt post much any more unfortunately that can grow them very fast because he is in Cali. I cant even come close to that growth rate here.

In any case, any one here is perfectly within their rights to spend their money how they see fit, its their money, they earned it.
For my money, the tree pictured in the OP is the better buy if I want to see a more developed tree faster.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I reckon I may in for wheeling and dealing.

But....

Why can't we see the wound?

If I were an honest person trying to sell trees to honest folks I'd take pictures of all the flaws or possible flaws so you know what you're getting.

Presenting a tree only in it's best light for sale is decietful.

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm on the US Auction groups on FB and I see absolute garbage selling for 150-300 regularly. 300 could easily be the starting bid for a tree like this.
People lose good sense/go nuts during auctions with fever to win, win, win. Good to avoid unless having great self discipline🤨.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you do bonsai? Just curious because I have not seen any of your work, just random photos of other peoples work.

Again, an object is worth exactly what one person will pay.

Oddly enough, small tridents don't grow on trees.

Field grown tridents shown are straight logs with knuckle nebari and not much cheaper than original tree posted. Any work done to those was watering.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea I wouldn't pay $445 for the one from NEBG either. Honestly prices at NEBG have gotten pretty high imo since the new owners took over.

I think the tree in the OP is still the better buy.
The base is nicer imo.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You guys and your opinions. If the OP wants to buy the tree they can. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You guys and your opinions. If the OP wants to buy the tree they can. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You understand that this is a forum right? The OP specifically asked for people's opinions.
On this forum that will result in a discussion of different merits of different trees and LOTS of opinions, 'cause you know > forum; its what we do.
Its been already stated and understood that anyone can spend their own money however they see fit.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But that nebari is not worth 445 💀

View attachment 431543

No, it is not.
Yea I wouldn't pay $445 for the one from NEBG either. Honestly prices at NEBG have gotten pretty high imo since the new owners took over.

Markedly. They bought up Hollow Creek's stock when the owner retired. Material left to grow feral as the owner couldn't keep up.

Tree is worth about the price of the pot, maybe a little more with the tree.....combo value no more than a hundred US......

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Markedly. They bought up Hollow Creek's stock when the owner retired. Material left to grow feral as the owner couldn't keep up.

Tree is worth about the price of the pot, maybe a little more with the tree.....combo value no more than a hundred US......

looking at that base, the tree looks like it might have been air layered?

Interesting, I had wondered what had happened to Hollow Creek. I knew they had gone out of business because I knew the owner was getting on in years and lets face it, bonsai are a lot of work. Thanks for the info

Top Bottom