Worth a shot...?

MrBojan9les

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Before I get in to any detail....are these trash?

Attachments

• portulaca (1).jpg
    portulaca (1).jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 104
  • both.jpg
    both.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 99
  • bougainvillea (1).jpg
    bougainvillea (1).jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 111
  • portulaca (4).jpg
    portulaca (4).jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 90

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lost me on that but in general everything is worth a shot...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The one on the 3rd pic is worth a shot. I hope it survives w/ barely any roots.

MrBojan9les

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well, just got these for a job of mine and I know the P. afra will be finea and is pretty bulletproof.. But, the other one is a chunky bougainvillea (B. Karst). Basically...I asked an arborist to save it for me when his crew did the demo/removal and this is what I've got... Was a pretty big plant..probably 10 years old at least..I'm in Phx, AZ we just had a hard freeze..got to 22-23 where these are.. So, the boug had all its foliage knocked back, wasn't any green..but that's fairly normal and I know it would have come back in the spring no problem if it wasn't just yanked out of the ground...so...I've never attempted to transplant something like this and wanted to get some advice... Pics were from a couple nights ago, I put the boug in a 15g pot w/a fast draining potting mix and watered it in.. It's cold now, it will be dormant regardless for a little while depending on how quick it starts heating up..

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can cut those up, let the ends callous, and pot them up. They'll root in no time, but don't water until you see new growth. A lot of people don't consider elephant bush to be proper bonsai, but I saw a picture of a really nice one owned by Jim Smith down in Florida. It can be done.

MrBojan9les

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You can cut those up, let the ends callous, and pot them up. They'll root in no time, but don't water until you see new growth. A lot of people don't consider elephant bush to be proper bonsai, but I saw a picture of a really nice one owned by Jim Smith down in Florida. It can be done.

Yeah..the elephants food are pretty easy...and I can understand why bonsai purists might scoff at the idea of using them at all..but, that doesn't really bother me... I've seem some pretty nice ones on the internet.. My plan with that is just to pot it up and trim it back quite a bit in a month or two.. And I'll end up with a ton of cuttings..but I have use for those in the landscape. We have a little nursery area at our office that's all set up w/irrigation, so I use it for stuff like that..give it a few months and use it..

The bougainvillea is the one I was more concerned with.. Not sure what I can do to give it a chance to survive. They don't transplant particularly well...especially with 99% of their roots gone..

I am pulling this from my ass...no idea if it's a good idea at all....but what about using rooting homrone and some weak fert w/higher p/k to n, and maybe some superthrive? I know it's against the rules to add much of anything to a plant when fertilizing...but I'm thinking if I can force it to push some roots it may have a chance..

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anything is worth a shot! The jade will pull through. I can't imagine the bougie making it though. Either way, good luck!

MrBojan9les

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
man...so no little tricks or tips to get that thing to survive, huh?? Can anyone point me towards any guides with info on transplanting landscape or native stock in to bonsai?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Agree, just keep the bougie moist and use a very free draining mix. I use a hot house to root very large bougies. Never tried not watering them till new growth but that's the correct technique for rooting cacti (which bougainvillea practically is). The best thing is to do a 24hr superthrive soak. That bougie should pull through with no problem.

:cool:

Reaction score
Take the Bougie out of the soil and instead wrap it's base in damp,
not wet spagnum moss, cover it with a plastic bag, and bind it
tight with twine, so when the roots start to grow, they will not be
easily disturbed. Kinda like you are doing an Air Layer. Be sure and
cut some slits in the bag to allow it to breath. Trust me, this is the
best way of getting it to root. I have rooted 8" thick cuttings like this
before.
Obviously keep it away from the cold.
:)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
man...so no little tricks or tips to get that thing to survive, huh?? Can anyone point me towards any guides with info on transplanting landscape or native stock in to bonsai?

My bougie is fussy, hates wet feet, and will drop leaves with any work. But I'm in a very different climate than you and im no expert. As for getting it to root I would suggest calling wigerts bonsai in Florida for advice. Eric is n expert on this species.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Bougys will root with 15 inch cuttings. Put it in non-organic bonsai soil, let it get dryish between waterings. Intermittent mist in full sun in a green house will get you around 100 percent providing it doesn't go below 55 at nights

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Personally, I would cut that Bougy into two and plant both...OR... reduce the top branches and remove some obviously unwanted (not needed) branches. The least the tree have to maintain the better IMHO...esp since there is basically no roots left.

In my eye, this is basically a cutting and cuttings are limited in size for a reason.

MrBojan9les

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Personally, I would cut that Bougy into two and plant both...OR... reduce the top branches and remove some obviously unwanted (not needed) branches. The least the tree have to maintain the better IMHO...esp since there is basically no roots left.

In my eye, this is basically a cutting and cuttings are limited in size for a reason.

I think cutting it half would probably stress it more..no? I will have a lot of work to do on the branches..but I wasn't planning to do much else with it until I can get some leaves to pop at least..

And yes..with the roots that I'm left with, this is more or less a cutting...but typically cuttings are taken from new plant material that is actively growing...this is obviously not that. Part of the reason I was thinking to not cut anything else off is because the amount of trunk that I have doesn't really affect it I don't think... The reason foliage is reduced for cuttings is to reduce transpiration and keep the plant from drying out..since I have no leaves, I figure that issue is kinda moot..?

Someone mentioned a superthrive soak..I think that would make sense...but I was thinking of just keeping it in the orchid bark/coir mix that I have it in currently and then once it warms up a little maybe do the superthrive soak.

What about rooting hormone? Since this is basically a big cutting...what if I were scar up the base of the roots and apply some rooting hormone with the superthrive soak? Good idea, bad, any ideas??

MrBojan9les

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Bougys will root with 15 inch cuttings. Put it in non-organic bonsai soil, let it get dryish between waterings. Intermittent mist in full sun in a green house will get you around 100 percent providing it doesn't go below 55 at nights

Yes...but when you say 15" cuttings I assume you mean from newer/actively growing plant material, and not a 5" caliper stump? A bit different I'd think..?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Superthrive has some followers/believers and detractors. I personally do not know but it shouldn't hurt. I would suggest rooting hormone soak though then powder. Encourage root growth by adding heat under the pot if you can.

15" IMHO is already pushing it, I'd go 8"...IMHO it applies both to a 1/8" whip to 24" stump. For me it is the amount being sustained by the new roots so technically, it should be shorter for bigger stumps. I may be mistaken though.

I do suggest you apply cut paste on all exposed cuts (this too is highly debated)...save as much of that moisture in there because you have nothing to replenish it with (yet).

Good luck!!!

Top Bottom