Worth messing with? (burning bush)

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
jpofVJ.jpg

Was at Lowes today and couldn't resist looking through the garden center when I saw the big 75% off sign. Not a lot left but I did pick up this burning bush. I really couldn't pass it up for only $5. Never had a burning bush before so just wondered if you guys thought this would be worth working with next year or should I just plant it in the bonsai garden as an accent yard tree?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
That will make a nice yard tree. Great autumn colour.

Scooter9166 - 5a

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I will let you know next year :) I picked up a couple of smaller ones. Several people on here have threads that suggest it's doable, but a slow process.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you want to just learn how the species responds in a container, it should be fine. But honestly, I don't really see anything in that trunk that looks useful for bonsai. I'd look for another one. You should be able to find a bigger one somewhere with a decent trunk at a good price this time of year.

They are relatively slow to develop because they really only put out one growth flush per year.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks to all. Wasn't sure about them so glad I asked. I think I may just go ahead and find a nice spot in the garden for it and enjoy the red leaves every fall then.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Plant it in your garden but cut it back every couple of years with bonsai in mind. In 8 or 10 years you might have something interesting that can be turned into bonsai. Until then you can enjoy it in your garden.

Don't worry about cutting the roots until you eventually collect it. They can take drastic root reduction without skipping a beat. It might be worth spending a little bit of time arranging the roots radially when you plant it. If you do decide one year to collect it you will be happy you did.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Burning bush can be GREAT. But the proportions need to be just right. The variety you bought and the ones sold at most Lowe’s have leaves that do not reduce very much at all. A thicker trunk is a must for believability. However, with the proper scale they can be believable and ramify very well, but slowly. You’ll typicall only get 1 new flush of growth after cut back per year, sometimes 2. Branches, even tender ones, wire well. Scars heal well and again, with the right proportions the bark has a great look to it in relation to the entire image. This tree can still be a bonsai if you plant it and dig it up after 5 years, or go back to Lowe’s and find another much thicker one if you can, otherwise this one will never be fully convincing. Keep in mind though I have found several burning bush with trunk size that warrant Shohin size trees. I just came home with one from Lowe’s that is about 1 3/4” at the base before root spread for $12. It’ll never be a show stopper but should make a great broom/informal broom style. I’ll max out the height at about 12”, which is pushing it in regards to proportions but will still be a fun tree. Keep on the hunt for more, cause in my opinion the red color in fall is worth it. ?? Good luck!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
19CE6F76-97B7-42A1-8D83-4C532ED6CA3D.jpeg
Slightly different variety, but the tendencies I’d imagine are the same. This trees trunk is not thickest in relation to the whole, but still looks so good. It’s a tree by @Walter Pall

Reaction score
Burning bush IMO is an excellent choice for bonsai for the impatient and beginner. I have one currently and it is thriving in a pot of home made mix ( peat moss, sand, compost and perlite from a raised bed mix, it has some organic nutrients in it as well) just to get used to the pot but over the course of 2 years its grown amazingly. What I can tell you from my experience, and this is just my experience on it. 1. They grow new growth very quickly and alot of it so be ready to prune back alot of unwanted growth. The trunk size, given mines in a large pot, does not grow as quickly in diameter as other plants. 3. If it looks dead....its probably not. In its dormant state it looks like a failed plant but it will come back happier and healthier than you expected.what I do is in spring I let the new growth come out, itll be long fast growing green sticks with leaves that grow 2 ways, one is side by side and the other kind is spaced opposite the stem both kinds on the same stem. Let it grow until the buds with one directly across from the other are halfway up the stem. Then cut back to just above that set of leaves to promote 2 new stems. It will back bud on that branch too causing a cluster but let it and do the same thing to the side growth. Most bonsai you let grow then cut back, these you dont want to let the stem get mature wood first, cut it green. If you dont it will either kill the stem or you'll have a lot more of back budding on the stem which throws off where you want it to grow. This plant should be thought of like a hedge and not a tree. Meaning if you dont prune it alot it's going to go out of control pretty quickly. About mid summer stop pruning altogether and just let it go crazy and the next spring before it buds out cut back all unwanted branching.and repeat the process. After a few years it will stop growing so dramatically and putting out new branches rather it will build on what's already there. Normally ramification is the last thing you develop after root and trunk but with burning bush you want to grow it all at once. The trunk will still thicken this way but if you let it grow without pruning the top and working on ramification you'll have alot of thick branches going straight to thin twigs with no taper

Top Bottom