Worth reading. An interview with Ryan Neal.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great read!

One of the most important takeaways I think we can all get from that article is not just the parts about "demystifying" bonsai and improving fundamentals, but the quote that meant a lot to me and really pointed out an error I think a lot of Americans make as we try to learn this art:
"...each artist, each bonsai garden, each individual has a style and an approach that’s as unique to them as it is to their culture."

A lot of times people act like MY WAY IS RIGHT, YOURS IS WRONG! Or "my soil/ fertilizer/ pruning technique... Is the ONLY way it should be done".. BS. Everybody has a similar goal- to create a nice Bonsai- but the way we get there and frequently the end results are quite different at times!

Thanks for posting this!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like - "Humility, seeing yourself as you really are – the good and the bad – is critical to bettering yourself. This requires daily reflection and practice. It means taking time each day to improve upon those weaknesses."

Grimmy

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Exactly! Anyone who has met Ryan knows what a bright, perceptive guy he is. The few people who I've seen trash him on this site clearly don't know him.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like all his answers to the questions, and he sounds like a very humble bonsai artist I'd want to meet.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Exactly! Anyone who has met Ryan knows what a bright, perceptive guy he is. The few people who I've seen trash him on this site clearly don't know him.

I agree 100%. I've been fortunate to take workshops with a number of people over the years, and I would put his at the top of the list. He knows his stuff, is a great teacher, and is just a down to earth very nice guy.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haven't met him nor taken any of his workshops, but I have seen him do several demos and symposium lectures (along with youtube videos). Seems very knowledgeable and is able to convey information effectively.

Lots of good quotes in the article. I like "There is room for every attempt and artistic exploration."

And

"People assume too much when they think that whatever they think matters, really, when it comes down to bonsai."

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Great interview, and consistent with my experience with Ryan, I'm heading back out there 7/10 for my third course in Junipers. His fund of knowledge and ability to explain concepts is very impressive...heck, we spend a good day simply doing lectures. And his philosophy of putting the trees health first is something I think we all need to heed to occasionally (I can speak for myself at least ;) )

Thanks PaulH for posting, I hadn't seen this one.

Chris

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What I like about Ryan is he is very low-key and unassuming. For someone with his experience level, he is extremely approachable.

Top Bottom