Worth the effort?

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
I saw these for sale each for $15, i do not know what exactly they are but i would have to dig myself etc thoughts?

$_20.JPG

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do they have a thick trunk? Or a lot of little ones? If they have cool trunks and maybe nebari too, give it a shot. Someone who knows more about the species can help with when and how. Are they a type of ceder?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They look like emerald arborvitae to me. I'm with sorce, I've charged people to take their trees before lol

Aaron

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'd be shocked if it's anything other than Dwarf Golden Arborvitae (Thuja orientalis 'Aurea Nana'). Most of the bonsai I've seen out of these were uninteresting mallsai types. I've seen a handful of larger ones made into credible bonsai, including a couple of dramatic windswept bonsai, but I'm told by those who own them that they are hard to maintain their shape.

Cheryl Manning did a web page about what she did with a similar hedge.

http://betterbonsai.com/treasure/hedge/hedge.html

This may be a temporary glitch, but when you click the link, you have to delete the www and hit enter again or you'll get a "server down" error.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
I'd be shocked if it's anything other than Dwarf Golden Arborvitae (Thuja orientalis 'Aurea Nana'). Most of the bonsai I've seen out of these were uninteresting mallsai types. I've seen a handful of larger ones made into credible bonsai, including a couple of dramatic windswept bonsai, but I'm told by those who own them that they are hard to maintain their shape.

Cheryl Manning did a web page about what she did with a similar hedge.

http://betterbonsai.com/treasure/hedge/hedge.html

This may be a temporary glitch, but when you click the link, you have to delete the www and hit enter again or you'll get a "server down" error.

thanks for the link, interesting read

hedge-8.jpg

Top Bottom