Would an Delonix Regia be good to start off as a Broom ?

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Would an Delonix Regia be good to start off as a Broom ?
Late spring here in NZ . I might chop the bugger into a broom to see what happen ?

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
OK , found a clamp and going to drill out the heartwood at the top .
I'll be clamping the upper part of the trunk to see if swelling occurs and it should bud out . I'll be sealing the heartwood only at the top
Any other pointers welcome

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
With the large compound leaves that can be as long as 18 inches, Delonix Regia will have to be a large bonsai if you want it to be a broom. With mine, the leaves shade out one another and stunt the growth of the smaller branches so you will have to tend to the tree carefully with a broom because the branches will be close to one another.

How big is your tree now? Mine has a 2.5" trunk and is 24" tall, yet I still have issues with the tree being too small to handle the compound leaves. It looks good in the spring when the leaves are small but when the leaves are fully matured, it still doesn't look right. Perhaps when I get the tree to grow much larger it will be better.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My tree has about a 1.5" trunk ( I've got four of them and this one was the smallest ) I was just experimenting to see what happens and hope to learn more .

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It could be done, but it will have to be a big tree, like stated above. Delonix tend to be like a flat top tree in nature when they are very old.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Think the top of the Delonix is swelling only thing is it’s raining here in NZ for the last four days ☹️

Top Bottom