Would anyone be interested in getting a contest going where we're all either starting from a propagate, or from a collection w/i certain parameters?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Let's hope all is well.
Mine just underwent a major operation as well. I hope it survives.

Hi Cajunrider,
I have just seen this contest, or is it a contest. Anyway, I am 6 months behind on my BC tree(for this contest). I am planning on starting a thread for it in winter when the big saw comes out etc.
05260BE7-3919-4490-89D0-92D485E6A7A2.jpeg2AC98BB6-CDF7-47FA-9DC8-057ACB132025.jpeg

My biggest project yet, with box building, and massive root work. Psyching myself up for the chop.
Charles

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi Cajunrider,
I have just seen this contest, or is it a contest. Anyway, I am 6 months behind on my BC tree(for this contest). I am planning on starting a thread for it in winter when the big saw comes out etc.
View attachment 232247View attachment 232248

My biggest project yet, with box building, and massive root work. Psyching myself up for the chop.
Charles
If I were you I would be psyched too.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hope this hasn't died....
I'm havin fun.... Picked up 2 more Montezuma Cypress at the nursery. (Tree Limit?)
LOL
2 Flat tops and an Upright.
Liking the 5 year deal....
Money or no money... fun all the same!

Oh and pics of the entire process yeah? cus that the best part...

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hope this hasn't died....
I'm havin fun.... Picked up 2 more Montezuma Cypress at the nursery. (Tree Limit?)
LOL
2 Flat tops and an Upright.
Liking the 5 year deal....
Money or no money... fun all the same!

Oh and pics of the entire process yeah? cus that the best part...
Well my chosen tree is struggling big time. I'm babying it really hard. Meanwhile I'm entertaining the thought of entering another tree.

2 flat tops and an upright MC huh. Hmmm I might just do 2 flat tops and an upright BC as head to head. I'll post some pictures later this week.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Where you going to chop?

Hi Aaron,
I have a few more months to chop this as just Fall now. I have been given advice from one Bnut member to chop this to 30-50cm (1 - 1.5 foot?) and develop either a single or multi trunk.
I just have to decide on chop height - as chop height x 3 = finished height in traditional trees.
I have a nine tree BC forest planned this winter also. Another box for that also ?
Charles

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
EXCELLENT!!!
Why don't you post pictures of your two flat tops and the one upright. I'll take pictures of mine and post them soon. That way we can compare notes on how our trees develop.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi Cajunrider,

Charles
You are not behind. Your tree is years ahead of mine. The trunks of my BCs are just 1 inch or so.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ill snap pics tomorrow!
LOL I'm totally starting from scratch on these. 5 years is going to come fast!
Here are mine. Pretty much the same size or smaller than any you can buy at the nurseries for less than 20 bucks.20190423_181000.jpg

20190423_181003.jpg20190423_180951.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have a BC, but don't know the rules lol
There have been lots of input but we haven't agreed on anything. So far we lean toward cypress (MC and BC). The OP hasn't made up his mind either so I'm just going with the flow. I still see skin game with prizes for each year or at least at the end with the esteemed bnutters being the judges.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Okay... so here are my MC. Each was picked up this year at the local nursery.
Upright
Chopped and leader selected!
See my use of chop sticks...?
I know ill get flack for chopping so low but... especially with only 5 years to create a taper.
Going for it anyway.
IMG_0460.jpeg
IMG_0459.jpeg

Flat top #1
Geez... bad pic. There is actually a nice little tape in this trunk.
Waiting for buds... chopped this tree a few weeks ago so any day now. :rolleyes:
IMG_0486.jpeg

Flattop #2
Not much taper on this one but like the thickness of the trunk.
Posted this in a post a week or so ago. Think ill keep as back up.
IMG_0387.jpeg

Top Bottom