Would it make it?

AussieBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all
I have the chance to take the below black pine 'bonsai' home.. Its a tree (2.6m tall), but has at some stage, been styled. I'm keen on essentially treating it at yamadori material, in that I would take the trunk right back, and graft on new branches below, overall height becoming more like 70cm.

The problem is in transport and the very poor health of the tree. Its obviously badly pot bound and god knows what else. The only way I can get it home would be to lop it off at the white mark, meaning only two very sparse branches with foliage would remain. I would then repot immediately, meaning two blows at the same time.

I have no experience with black pines and so was wondering if this has virtually no chance of succeeding, or perhaps a small chance?

Attachments

• bonsai_pine_1639732624_9b632bfd_progressive.jpg
    bonsai_pine_1639732624_9b632bfd_progressive.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 210

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Black pine normally don't appreciate radical trunk chops. They also don't like radical root reduction, even more so with very little foliage to support new root growth. That means there's a good chance the pine won't survive the changes. There is still a chance the tree WILL survive. I guess it depends whether you are an optimist or a pessimist and how much the tree will cost.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What he said;). Could possibly cut back at next higher branch green foliage? Then ONLY slip pot/NO root work at all? And can wait until growth begins push:confused:? Possible to Rent/borrow/temporarly appropriate small pickup or open top car😜?

Last edited:

AussieBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Unfortunately the cut would need to be made there, as pickup trucks are in short supply in singapore! It is a black pine. They grow very spindly here if left alone as ornamental plants, but one of the only pines that will actually survive.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Get third world with it and strap it to the roof of your car?
I fear the chop more than the idea of root work.

I don't imagine there's much of a winter there, so it's not going to be dormant?

hemi71cuda

Sapling
Reaction score
To salvage this tree the only first step is to get it healthier. I’ve run in to issues with vehicle height too and there’s an easier solution than chopping it in half. Lay it down. Use some props and straps and secure it horizontally or close to it. Hang part of it out of the back window or hatch if you have to. No reason to worry about breaking dead branches or losing some bark. It will much safer than chopping.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No chance you could slip pot it into something bigger and leave it there for a year, then cut it back?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Before I owned a car I've transported trees on the back and front of bicycles. Scooters and mopeds too, just sit them between the legs and don't poke your eyes out.
Since it's so root bound, the shaking shouldn't be much of an issue. But a little padding underneath can go a long way.

Then again, I don't know what kind of distance we're talking.. Hiring some local kids might be efficient. My sisters boyfriend is going to walk three miles with a 10 kg juniper tomorrow.

AussieBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Oh wow..... Loving the comments on getting this tree back 🤣
Before I owned a car I've transported trees on the back and front of bicycles. Scooters and mopeds too, just sit them between the legs and don't poke your eyes out.
Since it's so root bound, the shaking shouldn't be much of an issue. But a little padding underneath can go a long way.

Then again, I don't know what kind of distance we're talking.. Hiring some local kids might be efficient. My sisters boyfriend is going to walk three miles with a 10 kg juniper tomorrow.

AussieBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Just seems a waste to see such a tree go in the skip, which is what will happen. I think I'll take off the highest branching to make it more manageble and slip pot it, as people kindly pointed out. I've manged to restore a fukien and cudrania, but this is literally a much bigger project. Will post an update. Do you all think its worth it?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just seems a waste to see such a tree go in the skip, which is what will happen. I think I'll take off the highest branching to make it more manageble and slip pot it, as people kindly pointed out. I've manged to restore a fukien and cudrania, but this is literally a much bigger project. Will post an update. Do you all think its worth it?
That trunk is phenomenal, so it's worth a try.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What means of transport do you have available?

Alternative otion would be to spend a bit more time, and use raffia and wire to bring down the top, then stringing all the green together. Most trees have a lot of volume, but can be brought back to reasonable sizes without trimming too much. This would be my route.

but as said, what transport options do you have available? Naturally, if you drive, renting a van would still make lots of sense, but 80$ might be out of budget for this tree. https://www.fcyenterprise.com/home/commercial-vehicle-rental/van-rental/

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My sisters boyfriend is going to walk three miles with a 10 kg juniper tomorrow.
And I thought I was cary for getting a pile of 12ft lumber, 2km away, on foot (But bringing a box cart to tie to one end)

On the back of his bike I presume?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
And I thought I was cary for getting a pile of 12ft lumber, 2km away, on foot (But bringing a box cart to tie to one end)

On the back of his bike I presume?
I don't care how he does it. I'm paying him a 100 euros an hour to get it done in 15 minutes.
I hope for him that he's smart enough to put some wheels under it..

Top Bottom