Would like advice.

Jnicholes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would like some advice. Here is my situation.

I have an oak bonsai I am growing from seed. Here’s a picture of it so far.

image.jpg

Today, I was by the mother tree, and I found these, most of which are starting to sprout, despite the recent snowstorm.

image.jpg

Which is better, taking these acorns and planting them in a pot outside, and let nature take its course for germination, or should I take the one in the indoor pot and get it accustomed to being outside when weather permits?

I could do both, I just need to pick up soil tomorrow.

Jared

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would like some advice. Here is my situation.

I have an oak bonsai I am growing from seed. Here’s a picture of it so far.

View attachment 354576

Today, I was by the mother tree, and I found these, most of which are starting to sprout, despite the recent snowstorm.

View attachment 354577

Which is better, taking these acorns and planting them in a pot outside, and let nature take its course for germination, or should I take the one in the indoor pot and get it accustomed to being outside when weather permits?

I could do both, I just need to pick up soil tomorrow.

Jared
I would plant the acorns outside and let nature take its course! The one started indoors will take some time to adjust to the outside in your climatic area. I would keep it indoors for another month or two seeing as it was started indoors.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Plant the new ones outside. Make sure you cover them to stop thieving rodents and birds taking them.
The tiny shoots you can see are the start of the radicle (root) so plant them with the point down or on the sides so the roots can go down. Oaks normally put the roots out well before they shoot above ground. The fact they are starting to shoot under a tree in your area shows it is the right time for them to grow. The shoots will probably not show above ground until it warms up a bit.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would normally say do them outside but in this case, I would follow @Zach Smith advice for the sake of experiment. If you do them outside and have squirrels around, put some screen over them or you will just be feeding the squirrels. 😉

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would normally say do them outside but in this case, I would follow @Zach Smith advice for the sake of experiment. If you do them outside and have squirrels around, put some screen over them or you will just be feeding the squirrels. 😉
Usually I get oak seedlings sprouting by mid-year because the squirrels bury acorns in my pots. But I'm sure if I planted the acorns in pots, the squirrels would show up to dig 'em back out. I'm convinced they don't really eat the acorns, just use them to dig holes everywhere.

Jnicholes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Despite or Due To?

It doesn't matter at all, but being completely opposite and also possible seems like powerful knowledge to seek.

Sorce
Sorry, I phrased it wrong. They’re starting to sprout outside even though there is a big snowstorm right now.

we actually received a winter storm warning.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
this reminds me of something im going to do when my repotting begins.

i have so many collected seeds from maples, holly, etc. etc. and now that i have a new steady situation (time, but shes worth it and going to help me repot) instead of germinating any seeds (currently in my fridge) indoors im going to mass-sow them into my in-ground area for trees (with super dank soil all natural there as well) and hope for the best. since i have about 100-200 seeds, i figure im bound to end up with a handful of future bonsai, from seed

good luck with your Oaks, i have a white oak pre bonsai, potted, lovely and epic species

oaks arent easy from what i know either. they get galls, squirrels, and grow slow

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Actually, I've had a lot of bird activity this year. They dig in the pots for seeds and don't replace their divots like the squirrels do. So I guess I'll take the squirrels.
Agreed!

At least they’re not rabbits.

🤣

Jnicholes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Agreed!

At least they’re not rabbits.

🤣
I actually have a rabbit, and she’s not bad. She does dig a lot, but she’s a sweetheart. When I transfer my trees outside, I better keep them away from her!

9FCE058F-ED02-4D52-A39C-DC6A592FE7C3.jpeg
Here she is by her tunnel. She actually gave me an idea for a Bonsai soil with something she discovered in the ground.

Ever heard of Terra Preta? Apparently, it’s a soil that prevents leaching and is very high in nutrients for a long time. Maybe I can try to make some with what she discovered.

She discovered charcoal in the ground, by the way.

Jared

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
even though
Despite or Due To?

It seems like you are not getting, entirely, what Sorce is trying to say. 🤓.. just trying to “ease” communication, if I can.

If you look up the specific requirements for acorn germination... you will understand that nugget of wisdom he was trying to get you to “uncover”

🤓

(This is a VERY common occurrence in these parts.)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I actually have a rabbit, and she’s not bad. She does dig a lot, but she’s a sweetheart. When I transfer my trees outside, I better keep them away from her!

View attachment 354726
Here she is by her tunnel. She actually gave me an idea for a Bonsai soil with something she discovered in the ground.

Ever heard of Terra Preta? Apparently, it’s a soil that prevents leaching and is very high in nutrients for a long time. Maybe I can try to make some with what she discovered.

She discovered charcoal in the ground, by the way.

Jared
Aww she’s AWESOME!!!

We had lots of Rabbits when I was younger.. a good 24 of them actually moved WITH us to the city.

But yes.. they absolutely ADORE the soft(er) wood species.

:)

Jnicholes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It seems like you are not getting, entirely, what Sorce is trying to say. 🤓.. just trying to “ease” communication, if I can.

If you look up the specific requirements for acorn germination... you will understand that nugget of wisdom he was trying to get you to “uncover”

🤓

(This is a VERY common occurrence in these parts.)
OK, I see it now.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
understand that nugget of wisdom he was trying to get you to “uncover

I don't think I know that particular nugget, but you're not wrong!

I think the Best Teacher is the Best Student and the Best Student Studies Students as much as Themselves and Their Teachers.

I know who the farthest hopping grasshopper is!

Yet there is always a toad.

Sorce

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have a bunch of acorns that have sprouted too, including one planted by a squirrel, right in the center of a pot I was going to use for one of the sprouted oaks! Perfect, Mr. Squirrel!

Top Bottom