Would like advice.

Jnicholes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, you all know my oak bonsai I have been growing from seed? Well, I lost it in a move. Transportation shock. It died. This was the SECOND oak I have lost.

I decided to give up on Oak bonsai from seed for now, and maybe start with a cutting or a tree or root stock so I can get experience.

I found this on Amazon while I was looking around, and I would like to know if it is a good deal and/or a good start for me. The reviews seem very positive, and I know how to root cuttings.

What do you think?

Jared

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't shop in Amazon or buy that cutting.

You can find a better cutting elsewhere fersure, ferfree!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Absolutely not. Willows are a dime a dozen, even if not in your specific area. Ask at your local nurseries for a Salix integra 'Hakuro-nishiki' and learn on that. It grows fast (too fast), but that means fast feedback and you'll have something to do all the time!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You’ll pay for a willow stick and instructions to put it in water. You can collect willow sticks for free. Willow roots easily. I would not buy willow cuttings. For free you can experiment with a willow or two…or many more.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Idaho……has willow trees right? Natural for your area?

Jnicholes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Idaho……has willow trees right? Natural for your area?
Yes, we do.

I already looked around the new town I moved into, no willows ANYWHERE.

I’m frustrated. VERY frustrated. Looks like I am not ordering this “stick” also.

Done posting for now.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
If you want something cheap, rewarding, I don’t mind sending you a couple seedlings I have
Don’t lose patience, it’s all about the long game

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yes, we do.

I already looked around the new town I moved into, no willows ANYWHERE.

I’m frustrated. VERY frustrated. Looks like I am not ordering this “stick” also.

Done posting for now.
I have a weeping willow. I can root some cuttings for you if you want.

Jnicholes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Apologies for my outburst. I was already having a very frustrating day. We have a drought situation in this new city, called Dietrich, Idaho, and my AC may not be working now. Heats getting to me.

Anyway, this is a very small city. I looked everywhere, and could not find a weeping willow. There’s no way I can get a cutting from one for free here.

As for those of you offering to send me some cuttings, let me think on it.

Jared

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For what its worth, weaping willow is not a very popular species, and for many reasons. Apparently they are notorious for dying at random despite seeming healthy. Sounds super frustrating if you ask me. I would recommend an elm or japanese maple from evergreengardenworks.com personally!

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ll try a Japanese maple too, then.
Thats the spirit! I am new too and got a 1 gal sized one from there last year and it has handled all the abuse I’ve dealt it. It arrived as a sapling maybe 24” long, trunk the diameter of a sharpee and now has about a 1.5” trunk and is about 4’ tall and bushy.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anywhere there's a creek or river in the Rockies, you'll find a native willow inside a half mile up or downstream of where you started looking. They aren't the weeping variety at all, but are hardy and will root from any living stick you drop in a cup of water. The leaves look about the same on almost all species of willow, that's how you can identify it. Long and arrow, a more pale green, tend to hang from the branches.

Many people don't realize the huge variety of willow species that are out there even though they walk by them routinely.

Top Bottom