Would love some help caring for my new Chinese Elm

Julie

Seed
Reaction score
Hi! Just joined and looking for some advice. I bought a beautiful Chinese Elm and would be so thankful for tips caring for it. I purchased it from easternleaf.com and received it yesterday. I bought a smaller one for my dad a while ago for his desk and he killed it so I want to make sure I take care of it properly. I watched some youtube videos and read care instructions online but still wanted to seek advice from professionals because I didn't feel like I found all the information I was looking for. I have the tree by a window so it will get sunlight and I purchased fertilizer that I need to put in once a month. It is not directly in front of the window it is about 3 feet away. I know I need to prune it and water frequently. I feel I've done good research but I'm still nervous that I won't care for it properly. I am not sure how to prune it exactly because I couldn't find a specific video about the Chinese Elm tree pruning. I appreciate any advice so thanks in advance!tree.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not much you can do to hurt these things, with the exception of trying to grow them indoors. Enjoy it, a nice near bullet proof Bonsai.

ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually reading your post I see you are growing it inside , not a good idea. let it dry out between waterings, constantly wet will rot the roots. Trimming back to a pair of leaves on each branch stimulates outward growth from the remaining leaves, (ramification) giving you a tighter, more realistic canopy. Leaving them get leggy growth makes for an unruly bush that looks bad in Bonsai cultivation. Good luck with it.

P.S. welcome to Bonsai Nut ! If you fill out your profile with your state you cab get specific advice for growing in your area, and probably tips on local Bonsai clubs which can help you learn and please grow it outside.

ed

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Julie. Welcome to Bonsai nut.
Chinese elms are fantastic trees to start out with. Like Ed says,they should be outside in the direct sunlight. The more the better. Also never let it dry out. Poke a wooden chop stick or wooden skewer into the soil. Let sit for 10 minutes or so and pull out and check. If it comes out moist wait to water.
Fertilize with the fertilizer of your choice. It doesn't matter what as long as it has a balanced NPK ratio. Like 10-10-10.
I use miracle gro.
Nice little tree. Good luck.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It would be most helpful if you added your USDA Zone and general location. For instance if you live in the Desert or a Jungle would make a difference in how much water, light, etc... would be ideal :cool:

Grimmy

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It would be most helpful if you added your USDA Zone and general location. For instance if you live in the Desert or a Jungle would make a difference in how much water, light, etc... would be ideal :cool:

Grimmy
Yes, name address, phone number... Oh and "what's your sign"? LMAO. Jk

Like they have told you- keep it outdoors if you want optimum health, fertilize regularly- they grow like weeds when happy! Probably just want to make sure it is happy before trying to style it or anything... You have a nice wiggle in the trunk, more interesting than most the "s curve" mass produced Elms you see all over the place IMO. Good luck with it- hope you catch "the bug"!

Julie

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the tips everyone! I live in Charlotte NC so Eric I am not too far from you. My husband and I actually own 2 car lots in Rock Hill so he is in SC almost every day.
I understand people that are real enthusiasts of what they are doing so that is why I chose to join a forum for help. I used to breed Crested Geckos and when newbies on the forum said they fed theirs baby food everyone would freak out haha. I hate to be one of those people but I would really like to keep mine inside. It said it could be kept indoors when I bought it and I wanted to put it on my side table in the living room because I thought they looked beautiful. Would it be ok if I put it outside for a while during the day to get sunlight and then brought it back in?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's almost like keeping a crested gecko in the freezer at night.

I would put a picture of it on the table! Or a monitor with a live video feed.

Nice to have another reptilian on.
You know how some pet store people sell you Caimans with a 10 gl tank, or a tortoise with no heat lamps, or a Nile Monitor without a clue.......

Just cause they said it could be kept inside........

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well, an Elm "can" be kept inside technically... From the standpoint of not needing the winter Dormancy that a Maple would need for instance... The issue is that indoor environments will never have optimal light, air circulation, moisture.... To get your tree to thrive! It might survive for a while, and the more you do to mimic the outdoor environment, the better it will do! Grow lights, humidity tray, misting, a fan close bye (preferably facing away, just sort of pulling the air across it..)- You can have an Elm last a while inside, you cannot have a healthy Bonsai that is really thriving inside for extended times.

What you CAN do is get a few more Bonsai, keep them outside most of the time, and rotate them inside to a spot in the house where they will get decent light... That way each tree spends most of it's time outdoors, can stay healthy and get what it needs while you still get to enjoy them indoors most of the year!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I once went to a pet store and the salesman was trying to sell a boa to a lady and her son. He told them they only had to feed it once a month. Then went on to tell her that they only grew to 8 feet max. I couldn't help myself and told the lady that everything he was telling her was lies. When I said I had one 12 feet he said he would like to see that. It just so happens I had baby with me. I went out to the car grabbed the big bag brought it in the store and let her out on the floor. The lady grabbed her son and left without another word. The salesman was pissed until I bought every rodent in the place.
Bunnies,rats,gerbils,hamsters,guinea pigs the whole shooting match. Dinner in the snake pit!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I once went to a pet store and the salesman was trying to sell a boa to a lady and her son. He told them they only had to feed it once a month. Then went on to tell her that they only grew to 8 feet max. I couldn't help myself and told the lady that everything he was telling her was lies. When I said I had one 12 feet he said he would like to see that. It just so happens I had baby with me. I went out to the car grabbed the big bag brought it in the store and let her out on the floor. The lady grabbed her son and left without another word. The salesman was pissed until I bought every rodent in the place.
Bunnies,rats,gerbils,hamsters,guinea pigs the whole shooting match. Dinner in the snake pit!
Damn man... You must be one scary mofo! Walking around with that big ole Godzilla mask and a 12 foot Boa! Children part like the Red Sea when you come around I am sure!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is funny to me- it seems a lot of people are interested in both Bonsai and reptiles! I used to care for Chameleons, bearded Dragons, Gekos.... Now I care for children instead! LOL

Had 13 snakes at one time. Also an iguana named ... you can guess right? Godzilla!
We moved to a smaller house and didn't have room for the enclosures so I sold them to my reptile dealer. He uses them for classroom presentations at local schools.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn man... You must be one scary mofo! Walking around with that big ole Godzilla mask and a 12 foot Boa! Children part like the Red Sea when you come around I am sure!

It's not funny. I don't need the mask to scare little kids. Most peek out from behind their moms or dad's when I'm around. I think it's the size and lack of hair. I haven't eaten a child in years!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We have a very healthy Sulcata Tortoise rescue for several years now. We could kill him in a few months with what we have been told online... Had the Snakes and rather large Iguanas as well. Chinese Elm are NOT indoors plants in most of the known world and I tend to agree yours should be outside. On a bright note you can get some VERY nice tropicals that will respond to decent treatment indoors so you might consider that an indoor option...

Grimmy

Julie

Seed
Reaction score
It is funny to me- it seems a lot of people are interested in both Bonsai and reptiles! I used to care for Chameleons, bearded Dragons, Gekos.... Now I care for children instead! LOL
Eric you seem like a very cool person and thanks so much for the help. I also care for a child and a dog and a business so thats why my love of breeding geckos had to end. I appreciate everyone that was nice on here but comparing putting a gecko in the freezer is just not cool to me. Sorry I guess I am just sensitive and not used to people trying to be funny in a mean way. My husband got diagnosed with a brain tumor and had brain surgery last year and I have had sever anxiety and depression because of it. Maybe you guys should be nice to people and realize you don't know the persons situation before being mean. Just a thought for further discussions and life in general. My last post so goodbye and thanks

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Eric you seem like a very cool person and thanks so much for the help. I also care for a child and a dog and a business so thats why my love of breeding geckos had to end. I appreciate everyone that was nice on here but comparing putting a gecko in the freezer is just not cool to me. Sorry I guess I am just sensitive and not used to people trying to be funny in a mean way. My husband got diagnosed with a brain tumor and had brain surgery last year and I have had sever anxiety and depression because of it. Maybe you guys should be nice to people and realize you don't know the persons situation before being mean. Just a thought for further discussions and life in general. My last post so goodbye and thanks
Well, you are welcome, and I am sorry you took Sorce's comment so personally.. He is a little disjointed and hard to follow sometimes, but I assure you he did not mean it to be mean! The Internet is a tough place to read a person's intent for sure, especially when you do not know them. I hate to see you go, but you are welcome here anytime you need help and I wish you and your family well.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

That was one of the quickest if not the quickest exits out of here I've seen yet! 3 posts! Now look what you guys did! Funny in a mean way, Good thing Vance or Smoke didn't reply. She would have been gone at 1 post!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That was not meant to be mean, or funny.

Just informative.

Keeping a tree inside is like keeping a gecko in the freezer. That's why it shouldn't be done.

This ain't funny so don't you dare laugh.

Whoa! The carpet must match the drapes. Now that's funny!

Sorce

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'll chime in as another one with a reptile history! I've bred at least a dozen gecko species as well as designer boas and kept myriad species both as pets and for work. I've been bitten by all five of the largest snake species on earth, and I worked for a major reptile pet product manufacturer for years!

Forget miss "sever anxiety" if she's that sensitive; there was nothing even remotely offensive about Sorce's post. I saw it as a genuine effort to put it in terms she might identify with.
Oh well, at least her thread brought us herpetology buffs out of the closet ;)
One thing about the hobby that always bugged me though was the names - I am so tired of Leopard Geckos named Leo, Iguanas named Iggy, and pythons named Monty that I could puke . . . she probably had a Crested Gecko named Cresty.

Top Bottom