Would love some opinions on air layering/chopping a crabapple.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I received this plant last year in the mail, sight unseen. Looking at air layering the top for a possible shohin, then lett the rest grow or chop down.

59970B6D-5415-48CF-A3BF-8078DACA29B9.jpeg836CA5E5-89F7-4774-A602-5CE4305CB4D0.jpeg375F7A0E-B1A2-4F9C-8776-481056FF7EDC.jpeg
So I was thinking about air layering at the top line, and chopping afterward at the bottom line.
BEE2F11F-9422-46B4-83D1-41AF4618B8AD.jpeg
Any input or suggestions are much appreciated everybody!!!

thanks

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're thinking of air layering a crab apple, find one you like in the landscape (family or friend?) and air layer a more substantial sized branch for your new trunk. Depending on the variety the one you have could take a few more years before it's mature enough to flower. Air layering from a tree already flowering will get you a flowering tree right away.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There are fruiting spurs on this tree already so it should be able to flower. The top section is all vegetative shoots as in most young and fast grown apples but should settle down to flowering in a few years if managed well.
I don't generally encourage layering small stock as it is rarely worth the time and effort but if stock is hard to get it may be worth doing this time. There is some interesting bends in that top section so a bit better than many we see offered for layering. Just be aware that as the trunk thickens and grows it is likely to change dramatically and the final tree is likely to be completely different to the current shape.

An alternative to the layer and/or chop would be to grow it as is until the whole trunk is thicker then decide how to proceed.

Top Bottom