Would YEW Repot (root prune) or Cut Back?

jaholmes

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey all -- I recently picked up a nursery stock yew, with about an 1.5" base and some decent movement (for cheap). I am wondering whether I should repot (and root prune some) it this year (NOW) or cut it back fairly hard to begin some initial styling? I would not want to necessarily do both in the same year.

I reside in South Central PA, where the temps have been around 80/60 for the past week -- although, this next week will have a spell of days about 65/50.

Thoughts and comments appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am about 2 hours East of you in Dublin. I would not repot at this time, some styling though should be ok. Water, Mist, and Fertilize until Spring. Curious what the tag says it is as well.

Grimmy

jaholmes

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you.

And to answer your question, it is a Densiformis Yew (after some research, a hybrid cultivar between Japanese and English yews).

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you.

And to answer your question, it is a Densiformis Yew (after some research, a hybrid cultivar between Japanese and English yews).

Lucky "yew"! That one will grow well but if I remember correctly you should be able to control it by doing pruning in Spring prior to the new growth. Do not plant it anywhere near concrete as most Yews can and often do grow roots through concrete if left to grow. I have a few that the previous owner let grow insanely large and they are probably going to be my hardest ever collection in the Spring. Sounds like you did well - enjoy!

Grimmy

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Lucky "yew"! That one will grow well but if I remember correctly you should be able to control it by doing pruning in Spring prior to the new growth. Do not plant it anywhere near concrete as most Yews can and often do grow roots through concrete if left to grow. I have a few that the previous owner let grow insanely large and they are probably going to be my hardest ever collection in the Spring. Sounds like you did well - enjoy!

Grimmy

Most people do not understand just how hard, wood of the Yew is. If you plan on excavating a Yew make sure you bring a saws-all, aka reciprocating saw, and large sharpe blades to cut it out of the ground. Conifers are generally considered to have soft wood like Pines, Junipers and Cedars. Yew on the other hand, is as hard as some hard wood species.

It is also flexible to the extent that during the Renaissance and late Medieval period forests of Yew were managed as strategic assets for the making of bows. The wood was also prized by Lute makers for making the bowl of Lutes. Many of these instrument makers had special arrangements with some governments that granted them access to this precious commodity. Sorry for the flash side-ways.

jaholmes

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very interesting and enlightening -- thanks Vance!

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
come on Vance, are you trying to scare this person off? Medieval bows? You should try the "yew foliage when it turns yellow and falls off can be sold for thousands of dollars". Or "yew wood is used to make Fender Stratocasters". Yeah, I know it isnt true, but so much of what we do is make believe that you may as well try to keep them in the hobby.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
come on Vance, are you trying to scare this person off? Medieval bows? You should try the "yew foliage when it turns yellow and falls off can be sold for thousands of dollars". Or "yew wood is used to make Fender Stratocasters". Yeah, I know it isnt true, but so much of what we do is make believe that you may as well try to keep them in the hobby.

Are you joking or are you serious? Yews were the wood of choice for bow makers in Europe through the Sixtinth-Century because of the distinct difference between the heart-wood and the sap-wood. While we are at it; are you aware that the wood of the Yew is toxic. At one time a Roman legion had water canteens made of the stuff and many of it's soldiers died because the canteens poisoned their water. Which brings up an issue worth considering. If you are going to "Graham Potter" a Yew you should wear at least a dust mask; a respirator would be better.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
You should wear respiratory protection whenever you work wood of any kind, regardless of the species...the mechanical irritation the fine dust could reek on your lower airways should be reason enough. Regarding yew toxicity, the chemical compound Taxine is the culprit, but is found mostly in the berries and needles. I'm sure there is residual amounts of it in the wood, but doubt the dust from working yew is any more dangerous then that from oak or walnut. I have several yew bonsai I've "Graham Pottered", outside, without a mask (should have had a mask but forgot) and survived:cool:.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You should wear respiratory protection whenever you work wood of any kind, regardless of the species...the mechanical irritation the fine dust could reek on your lower airways should be reason enough. Regarding yew toxicity, the chemical compound Taxine is the culprit, but is found mostly in the berries and needles. I'm sure there is residual amounts of it in the wood, but doubt the dust from working yew is any more dangerous then that from oak or walnut. I have several yew bonsai I've "Graham Pottered", outside, without a mask (should have had a mask but forgot) and survived:cool:.

Effects of toxins like that, except in the case of the Roman Legionnaires who basically drank a concoction of the stuff, are cumulative over many years. It wont kill you up front but it is like smoking; wait till you get old and try to drag your sorry butt up a steep hill.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Effects of toxins like that, except in the case of the Roman Legionnaires who basically drank a concoction of the stuff, are cumulative over many years. It wont kill you up front but it is like smoking; wait till you get old and try to drag your sorry butt up a steep hill.

The effects of the dust in the pulmonary tissue is cumulative, but I suspect the chemical compounds will eventually be metabolized and excreted from the body if the original exposure doesn't kill you. Bottom line-where a mask and ear plugs when wood working- your lungs and ears will thank you by working longer and better then if you don't...

I do believe this is officially a hijacking- sorry:eek:.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The effects of the dust in the pulmonary tissue is cumulative, but I suspect the chemical compounds will eventually be metabolized and excreted from the body if the original exposure doesn't kill you. Bottom line-where a mask and ear plugs when wood working- your lungs and ears will thank you by working longer and better then if you don't...

I do believe this is officially a hijacking- sorry:eek:.

I don't wish an argument but there are some toxins that are cumulative like led and asbestos and the chemicals in some glues. I spent my life in this industry I do know a little about this issue.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't wish an argument but there are some toxins that are cumulative like led and asbestos and the chemicals in some glues. I spent my life in this industry I do know a little about this issue.

Same here, Vance...I'm the one who would treat your dog if it ate a bunch of lead paint chips or chewed up your yew hedge and collapsed on the front porch. Asbestos is actually very comparable to wood dust...once it's deep into the pulmonary tissue, it's there to stay. Lead can be removed from the body via chelation therapy. Alkaloid compounds like taxine are usually metabolized by the liver into compounds that are eliminated in the urine or feces.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you joking or are you serious? Yews were the wood of choice for bow makers in Europe through the Sixtinth-Century because of the distinct difference between the heart-wood and the sap-wood. While we are at it; are you aware that the wood of the Yew is toxic. At one time a Roman legion had water canteens made of the stuff and many of it's soldiers died because the canteens poisoned their water. Which brings up an issue worth considering. If you are going to "Graham Potter" a Yew you should wear at least a dust mask; a respirator would be better.
Relax, I was joking. It just seemed to be a major departure from the relaxing and stress reducing benefits many derive from working with bonsai when talking about weaponry and the like, true as it might be. Just trying to interject a bit of light into an otherwise darkish passage.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Relax, I was joking. It just seemed to be a major departure from the relaxing and stress reducing benefits many derive from working with bonsai when talking about weaponry and the like, true as it might be. Just trying to interject a bit of light into an otherwise darkish passage.

Light???? Light is truth.

How is having a discussion about the uses of the wood of a tree used for bonsai darkish if it's the truth? The last I knew Lolly Pops and Rainbows do not make for good bonsai. And if you are under the impression that bonsai has this wonderful peaceful historic past and, you base your interest in the art on that impression you should find something else to concentrate on.

Do you know who developed, owned and grew bonsai in the Fifteenth and Sixteenth-Centuries? The Samurai and their Lords and masters. The common man did not exist as we know the common man, you were property of these Samurai and their Lords and Masters. You could collect the trees but you could not own them, they belonged to the Samurai or Diamios. They could kill you for looking at them the wrong way or to just simply try out the sharpness of a new sword.

The bonsai tools, we so much appreciate, were developed from the early industry of head loppers, limb cutters and gut wrenchers; all the finest instruments of human destruction developed by any people anywhere. The bonsai were their property but the common people did most of the work on them while the Samurai sat about with their Cha (tea) and contemplated their peaceful existence as a diversion from a hard day of cutting off heads and chopping men into many pieces while hoping the same didn't happen to them. That's the truth.

Or we could all get naked and high and La-Dee-Daa our way through life thinking nice thoughts until someone comes along and shakes our boat of misinformation causing us to think this person should be killed for the sake and betterment of a peaceful society. Let's face it. The concept of peace and tranquility in a society is based upon concepts of a hive mentality where every body does what every body is supposed to do and think the way every body is supposed to think and destroy any one who departs from that model.

Just joking but not by much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom