Would you buy? And which? ASAP!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At my local nursery and they are clearing out trees. 75% off. Here are some I like with prices after discount. Thoughts?

Himalayan birch. Multiple options. All are 3 trunks. $50 after discount. 248048

Weeping bald cypress. Looks grafted though.$20248049

Several Amir maple for $25
American beech. $40

These certainly weren’t grown out for bonsai purposes. But do any look promising for the price? Thanks!!

D

Deleted member 21616

$50 after discount

where I live, $50 get you a nice pre-bonsai material that was grown with bonsai in mind (attached). What can $50 get you in your area?

Attachments

• 2019.06.04.1.jpg
    2019.06.04.1.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 73

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
The second maple looks awesome.

The birch is interesting too. I don’t see many of those as bonsai but could be an interesting multi stem or forest planting.

I’ve never seen a weeping bald cypress before.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
where I live, $50 get you a nice pre-bonsai material that was grown with bonsai in mind (attached). What can $50 get you in your area?
Locally? Unfortunately not much. I either collect or start from nursery stock. Lots to collect though that’s for sure. I’ve got several I’ve collected. I’ll probably order from a reputable seller at some point but haven’t committed to it just yet. I asked about these because there are lots of great “trees” but not convinced they’d be great Bonsai. But at 75% off I thought I’d ask. I did buy 3 pyracantha that were only 10 normally $40. Those I’ve seen, turned stellar, pretty quick.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
maybe the second amur if i had to pick something.
That one is the one I thought to be most promising also. Trunk is almost 3” and I do we’re to get it I’d do a heavy broo of sorts. Cutting back each trunk 1” or so above the main trunk. Don’t know that I will buy any of these, for bonsai at least. Maybe for my yard though!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Could be. I’ve never had a BC. For $20 I’d probably willing to find out, though. Ha!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had a weeping bald cypress for about 6 to 8 years. Top is interesting but base where graft is is huge and but ugly.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amur. Skip the birch-which are a pain. Weeping bc is not rare. Pretty common. Parvet Minaret, a dwarf variety, is worth the $, as a couple of other dwarfing tight foliaged varieties...

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We get a birch sometimes around here called Jacquemontii Birch and I've also heard it called Himalayan birch. If that's the same one, they struggle with our heat here in VA, so not sure how'd they do in NM's heat. They do much better in New England; but sometimes people just have to have that white bark...

An older Weeping Bald Cypress is pretty cool looking in the landscape, but probably not so much as bonsai because of the grafts.

My money would be on the amurs. I read something recently about them declining in some of the warmer states because of a lack of hard cold dormancies, but don't know what your winters are like there.

Awesome prices though!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just went back. None are really worth the trouble. Even the Amur. Nebari is a mess on all of them. I did buy 3 pyracantha for 75% off though. $10 each. They’ll make great shohin! I’ll post some pics later. Thanks for the input everyone.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn’t get a before pic. 🙄. But the foliage was awful on all of these. So I chopped it all off!! I pulled back some of the surface roots and top dressed248217. I then cut openings around the circumference of each pot towards the top of the rim and buried each tree. A bit late to do such a hard prune, but I’m confident they’ll push through with lots of buds. Roots should also escape the pots in the strategically placed holes I cut. 248216

Top Bottom