Would you chop this jin?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I vaccilate. One day I'm fine with it. Next day I'm "meh."
I wish it had more bendy but can't fix that now.

Also if anyone knows what KIND of juniper it is, I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance. :)

tl1.jpg

tl2.jpg

tl3.jpg

tl 4.jpg

Guess I could have said WHICH jin.... so......

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes, that's somewhat what I was thinking, too. 💩

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perhaps leave until weathering takes it:confused:?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It looks unnatural at that length. However the rest of your tree needs to be wired. I have a feeling once you wire out the rest of your branches and bring them down and out, you will find the jin creates too strong of a straight vertical line. I would shorten it to a stub, but probably not remove it entirely.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would leave it on.…shorter…but still on the tree. It seems to long to me. A creative stub would look better. To me it helps break up the lower nothing-special lower area of the trunk. I would guy-wire down the branch above that shorter stub. I’d probably remove that Jin on the upper right that looks like I forgot my crescent wrench on the tree and bend down the branch right to the upper left of that removal. But…..I can’t really see what’s behind or inside that upper area….that upper area may need pruning back.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I vaccilate. One day I'm fine with it. Next day I'm "meh."
I wish it had more bendy but can't fix that now.

Also if anyone knows what KIND of juniper it is, I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance. :)

View attachment 433978

View attachment 433979

View attachment 433980

View attachment 433982

Guess I could have said WHICH jin.... so......
So... you CAN bend jin after they become jin :D . Get a face towel or something similar and soak with in a container with boiling water. Wearing gloves, take the now scalding hot towel and wrap it around the jin in question for 15 or 20 minutes. The steam bath will soften the wood and allow it to be bent. Get some wire on the jin while subtle, then bend it to your design. The jin will hold the new shape. I did this years ago and it does work. There may be a thread or two here containing the process with pics but you'd need to do a deep search to find them.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Maybe you can bend the branch with steam bending it before taking it off.
Search Google for more info about this and there are also Youtube videos about it.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It looks unnatural at that length. However the rest of your tree needs to be wired. I have a feeling once you wire out the rest of your branches and bring them down and out, you will find the jin creates too strong of a straight vertical line. I would shorten it to a stub, but probably not remove it entirely.
Gradual process that I've been working on for a few years.
It is more spread out than the shaving brush it was.
But you're right. It needs to be wider.
The smaller branches are tough to wire as there is so little room.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Okay. First thanks to all who made suggestions. Of course it let me wreck my arthritic fingers with more WIRING !! 😩

It's now heading toward wider. Which I like. 🙂

The jin is jibbed shorter but I didn't have the balls to go all the way. I'll ponder on it some more.

I didn't remove the "crescent wrench" because bonsai NUTS need WRENCHES !!! 😜

changes per BN.jpg

I did take a pic of the green stuff which for today's purposes, I'll call "foliage" and solicit you folks telling me what the hell kind it is.

foliage.jpg

Just for the helluvit, here's a gratuitouls pic of an ELM!
Which is for sure.... "foliage." 😁

elm shot.jpg

Now while my fingers heal, I'll just let it grow some more and see what else I screwed up.

🥴

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
To me it doesnt look like a Juniper, it looks like Chamacyparis lawsoniana "elwoodi" or similar dwarf cultivar

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Okay. First thanks to all who made suggestions. Of course it let me wreck my arthritic fingers with more WIRING !!

You might be able to save your fingers a bit by using another wiring technique. This is hard to explain in text....but.... If you have a long enough wire, once you have it anchored, you can use your wrist or arm movement to turn the wire around the branch and use your other hand to move the foliage so it doesn't get pinched. Might help, hope it does.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You might be able to save your fingers a bit by using another wiring technique. This is hard to explain in text....but.... If you have a long enough wire, once you have it anchored, you can use your wrist or arm movement to turn the wire around the branch and use your other hand to move the foliage so it doesn't get pinched. Might help, hope it does.
I do it that way. It's THICK wire that gets me. I usually get the first wrap and clamp it tight while winding the rest of the loops.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I do it that way. It's THICK wire that gets me. I usually get the first wrap and clamp it tight while winding the rest of the loops.

yea thick wire is a pain for almost everyone honestly. I have trouble with anything over size 8.

Top Bottom