Would you consider this Suiseki?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found this concretion on a sandstone cliff face in Wyoming.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You need to dream up a display setup that lends itself to this unusual form and texture.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not really but does it matter? A rose by any other name is still as sweet.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Not traditional suiseki but a very interesting geological specimen. Do you have any idea what it is?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
C-c-c-c-c-concreeeete! Pretty cool though. I’d rather grow something on it than use it as an accent. Then again, I’m like a toddler who’s just got his teeth in and needs to chew everything in sight! Nice find.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Surprised there not already a Star Wars scene.....

Nerds.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Legit fossilized dragon egg, but since it was presented as "not a suiseki" it gets tossed.....

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It may actually be a geode, which is a form of concretion. Or it may be a nodule. Concretions are formed from mineral precipitation around some kind of nucleus while a nodule is a replacement body.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
It would be considered in the larger classification as a "viewing stone". Suiseki are a more specific sub-type of viewing stone following Japanese aesthetics. But who cares. I like it.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b

A photo taken from the horizontal, lens level with or barely above the level of the shelf would give perspective on how it looks on that slab. Actually looks cool displayed as is. Not sure the definitions or aesthetics of Suiseki, but its a cool enough rock.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My understanding is that suiseki, in the formal sense, are representative of natural scenes—mountains, waterfalls, etc.—with the occasional thatched hut or animal figure. IMO, viewing stones consist first of a stone that has meaning for its owner. For you, that stone is a remembrance of a particular moment and place, and thus valuable, even if only to you.
You might also consider displaying it on a small suiban, or even one of the rectangular trays that come with small Chinese pots, resting on a bed of sand. There is a fine, pure black sand that you can find at aquarium stores or craft stores. I did this with a brown waterfall stone about the size of my fist, that I found in Alaska. In a reddish brown tray, the black sand makes the brown and cream colors in the stone pop out visually. If you mist the sand with a spray bottle, you can get an incredibly smooth, flat surface for the sand using an ordinary paint brush.
Cool find.

Top Bottom