Would you dig this?

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
I believe it's a winged elm. It's currently very tall, but I just love the rugged trunk. It has a little bend in it from growing around the old log. I'm not sure what the base looks like.

IMG_20180503_082711953[1].jpgIMG_20180503_082727517[1].jpg

Thanks,

I S A A C

Sapling
Reaction score
I would I think it would be a dope tree dig up and bonsai I’m all for it.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not diggin' it. The part I would want for a bonsai is straight and taperless.

But, if I had ambitions of gathering yamadori in the future, it might serve well as practice - you never quite know how to do it, until you have. Right now is not the best time for it - I would wait until sometime after the summer solstice, say August. I would want to harvest the shortest possible tree, but one with some foliage (this is what will power regrowing roots. If it should survive I would let it grow next season (2019) and look to chop the trunk at the end of the 2019 season or 'as buds swell' in the spring of 2020 and start a bonsai adventure! Who knows, you may develp a killer bonsai from it in one or two decades. At worst, you learn something about gathering yamadori (i.e., really cannot loose).

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
would need a big trunk chop...i agree with @0soyoung. I have too many trees as it is, lol. Who knows what the roots look like. I wouldn't use my time on this tree since my time is better served advancing my other trees.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm not diggin' it. The part I would want for a bonsai is straight and taperless.

But, if I had ambitions of gathering yamadori in the future, it might serve well as practice - you never quite know how to do it, until you have. Right now is not the best time for it - I would wait until sometime after the summer solstice, say August. I would want to harvest the shortest possible tree, but one with some foliage (this is what will power regrowing roots. If it should survive I would let it grow next season (2019) and look to chop the trunk at the end of the 2019 season or 'as buds swell' in the spring of 2020 and start a bonsai adventure! Who knows, you may develp a killer bonsai from it in one or two decades. At worst, you learn something about gathering yamadori (i.e., really cannot loose).

That's the approach I've been taking with the Craigslist bushes. Only a few of them have any real potential, but the real value is in learning how to dig things up without killing them. That, I think, cannot be overstated; imagine the tragedy of digging up a really great specimen only to kill it through lack of experience.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, it's also in leaf. Making it ill timing to collect. But...exactly how tall do you plan on allowing it to be to keep that curve? Remember the base of the tree and so high up is the bones of bonsai. I see nothing spectacular...unless the flare and base are impressive.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
Thank you for all your replies... I may check the nabari, if it's not "special". I'll leave it alone.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Reminded me of this thread tree

Colected Ulmus procera evolution since 2008

Didn't link, you'll just have to search

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it's an elm,dig it.
It will recover fast.
Chop it low.
Get in some chop and grow practice.
I'm digging one this weekend that's straight for a future broom.
I'm surprised nobody suggested it.

Top Bottom