Would you give a bonsai as a gift?

Would you give a bonsai as a gift?

• Yes! It would open a new world for them!

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Probably. As long as I thought they could care for it.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Maybe. I might have to step in and provide care.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Don't think so. Not unless it was a cheap tree.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Never. For several reasons, probably not a good idea.

Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Nah, just be a waste of money and a good tree.
Harry

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nope. If it was a cheapie tree and it died it may put them off the hobby.
I would give them a gift certificate to a Intro to Bonsai course or take them to a club meeting instead.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Giving a bonsai as gift is like helping a blind man to cross the street.....against his will.

(Just imagine the scene: the blind man is kicking and screaming, and you are trying to keep up the appearance that you are being helpful, looking around and smiling to the onlookers - this is about the same as giving bonsai as a gift).

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I voted maybe, but I have on occasion, but I was just about asked for them, thats why I keep rooting cuttings. At some point I don't want them all so, hmmm give em away, club events, at work, or gifts to someone that does the club a favor etc.

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Japanese give bonsai as gifts all the time. Like our presidents and country leaders of other sorts. Thats an extreme example but what I really want to say is...i would only give one as a gift if I knew the person was experienced. Meaning a gift from one experienced artist to another.

Tom

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually it would be the Japanese equivalent of offering the complete "Golden Ladies" DVD set or a box of depends to someone... bonsai is mostly an old rich fart hobby over there. It is usually labeled "jijikusai" (grandpa smell) by most people under retirement age.

Personally I wouldn't give the gift of bonsai unless I knew the persons were interested and able to keep the tree alive.

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Maybe but only if I really really hated the tree.

I picked no. There would be some cases where I would pick yes but they weren't listed as options.
1. A fellow Bonsai friend.
2. Someone who totally understands the commitement involved and was willing to take classes and/or instruction.
3. Poison Ivy Bonsai to an Ex. With instructions to trim daily.

Top Bottom