Would you have bought these juniper?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello everybody,

I just bought a house and finally settled back into being able to spend time with plants again, thank God. I found these in the way back at a local nursery, quite neglected. It appears that the ends were on the ground and some died off...if I cut the ends do I just cut up past the dead area and let it branch out from there?

Other than that they look pretty good I think? Couple biggies and two cascades? What would you have done?

Cheers,
Chris

20220512_152108.jpg20220512_151951.jpg20220512_151942.jpg20220512_151933.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm…. Would I buy these… well I like my purchases totally green during this time of the year. Double for junipers.

The middle photo looks like Juniper tip bight…. The other two could be as well. Wait until each affected plant is dry and cut back to greem wood and spray with the proper fungicide. Be sure to disinfect the pruners before / after each cut.

Cheers
DSD sends

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cant really give you an answer from the picture. When I shop for procumbens juniper, I get my hands in there and feel around for the truck to see if its a decently sized trunk and to feel how the branches come off the trunk to try and judge what there is to work with.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Cant really give you an answer from the picture. When I shop for procumbens juniper, I get my hands in there and feel around for the truck to see if its a decently sized trunk and to feel how the branches come off the trunk to try and judge what there is to work with.
Without gloves, this can be painfully difficult! 🤣

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd stake them up. I think you'll be pleased with how quickly they can take on an interesting shape. Cascades should be a last resort ...or at least not automatic. I have a few JProNanas in development, so I'd probably have passed on these.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm a bit worried now with the blight concern. Also, they look brighter green and not as dark as I have generally seen. I could always return them?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In my experience, tip blight affects a large percentage of the tips all over the tree. This looks very localized and my opinion is its a result of physical damage. W/ junipers if you have a multitude of healthy growing tips you can get away with a lot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd stake them up. I think you'll be pleased with how quickly they can take on an interesting shape. Cascades should be a last resort ...or at least not automatic. I have a few JProNanas in development, so I'd probably have passed on these.
Do youbhave an example?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One of the trunks is larger and the other has quite a few smaller would branches... not sure what to cut back and what not... been out of this for a while, but excited for more research and dirty hands.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you have access to a class or workshop around you I highly recommend it! These look like they could have some cool potential, especially the larger ones. It's amazing how much you can learn in an hour of hands on work. Once someone shows you the basics of cleaning them (clearing out all the undergrowth, branches growing down, crotch branches, etc) you'll be able to see the potential. Then you will know where to start on the other 3. Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In my experience, tip blight affects a large percentage of the tips all over the tree. This looks very localized and my opinion is its a result of physical damage. W/ junipers if you have a multitude of healthy growing tips you can get away with a lot.
Hopefully, that would be a better scenario. It's a very reputable nursery. A lot of these were in a group where the branch ends were on the ground and very moist in close proximity.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Hmm…. Sometimes….. This would depend on which of the three type of fungus that are reported to attack are infesting the juniper…..how far advanced the infection has gotten …..and if the entire tree or just certain branches are stressed, weak or damaged.

Some junipers are resistant to certain fungi. btw J. procumbens ‘Nana’ is reported to be resistant to Kabatina tip blight.

cheers
DSD sends

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That rust colored one broke off ain't it?

Welcome to Crazy!

That other tip just been sitting in the mud.

Just cut it off.

I never seen a juniper more certainly healthy.

Please don't spray it, if not for the kids ....for the dogs!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Welcome to Crazy!

Just cut it off.

Sorce
Love this.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Welcome to Crazy!

Just cut it off.

Sorce
Sorce,

I had an old account on here I forgot the login for but I remember you responding and helping me early on! Just noticed you're from berwyn, I have lots of family there!

Top Bottom