Would you let someone style your tree for you?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let me clarify why did I open this thread.
You all know I'm an absolute beginner. So when I bought a shrub in the nursery a year and a half ago, I somehow knew there was a beautiful tree in it. I had no "bonsai friend" to give me guidance, no clubs where I live, .... so my only chance to get a tree out of that shrub was to learn how to and educate myself. That made me struggle, and as I said in that tree thread it took me about 9 months of continiuos work to find out how to style it and in wich direction I wanted to go. In the meantime I asked for advice in different internet forums. The so called "experts" had a different vision than mine. Most of them adviced me to cut leaders, trunks, and strictly stick to one of the stablished japanese styles....
But as I was the one that could look that schrub everyday, and the one that was going to assume any outcome, I just sticked to my own decisions (wich were not shared by other more seasoned practicioners).
In that loooong process of styling I think I developed my own sense of what I wanted (and not what other people envisioned for that tree). Now, maybe this is not the best tree I could have got, but , I've gained a lot of confidence in my own decisions and developed certain skills set, so I feel very proud of my work.

So when I thought what would happend should any other person styled that tree for me, I also thought I would not be the same bonsaier (good or bad) I am now
Sure, you have to learn how trees respond to the technique you apply to the tree. As a beginner, maybe you don’t know that you can do a hard cut back, and the tree will respond by setting buds and growing new branches. Or, maybe that species does NOT back bud when pruned…. The “so called experts” that you are disparaging were trying to shorten your learning curve so that you might not have too many failures before you “figure it out on your own”.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure, you have to learn how trees respond to the technique you apply to the tree. As a beginner, maybe you don’t know that you can do a hard cut back, and the tree will respond by setting buds and growing new branches. Or, maybe that species does NOT back bud when pruned…. The “so called experts” that you are disparaging were trying to shorten your learning curve so that you might not have too many failures before you “figure it out on your own”.
I'm not talking about horticultural knowledge and techniques , but about design skills.
I'm not disparaging those people, just saying they had a different vision than mine.

Last edited:

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not talking about horticultural knowledge and techniques , but about design skills.
I'm not disparaging those people, just saying they had a different vision than mine.
When you’re a beginner, training your eye for aesthetics is among the things you need to do to get to the point where you can make bonsai (or any other kind of art) that looks good. That said, I don’t think the Internet is a good place to get that sort of training, particularly for a 3D art like bonsai. You train your eye by studying examples of great art in detail and you learn the mechanics of how to achieve particular effects through a combination of a mentorship with someone whose trees you admire and experimentation, although experimentation is less fruitful in bonsai than in other arts because of the time scale involved.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you’re a beginner, training your eye for aesthetics is among the things you need to do to get to the point where you can make bonsai (or any other kind of art) that looks good. That said, I don’t think the Internet is a good place to get that sort of training, particularly for a 3D art like bonsai. You train your eye by studying examples of great art in detail and you learn the mechanics of how to achieve particular effects through a combination of a mentorship with someone whose trees you admire and experimentation, although experimentation is less fruitful in bonsai than in other arts because of the time scale involved.
I can understand and share your view, but only to a certain point.
I can't access any other training than watching the internet. So, I guess you're telling me I will never be able to make a bonsai that looks good....? I sincerously hope you are wrong.
I've been a self learning guy all of my life. Even in the university I did not attend the classes... I have never ever recived any formal education on how to read or write english.....never had any mentorship with anybody on how to photograph... but in fact I've made a livelihood from my docotorate in maths, can express myself in english, and have won several prices in photographic contests, so I think your vision is a little restrictive.
I know my horticultural background is poor, and for that reason I read every aspect here and on several places. Some of them are contradictorial, but I apply my common sense and know how to discerne the value of my sources of information.
As for my ability to train my eye for aesthetics, I've always thought this must be part of you in the first place. I don´t think anyone can have that ability just becuse he attended a workshop with an artist. He can improve it, but if it's not there at first....

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Let me clarify why did I open this thread.
You all know I'm an absolute beginner. So when I bought a shrub in the nursery a year and a half ago, I somehow knew there was a beautiful tree in it. I had no "bonsai friend" to give me guidance, no clubs where I live, .... so my only chance to get a tree out of that shrub was to learn how to and educate myself. That made me struggle, and as I said in that tree thread it took me about 9 months of continiuos work to find out how to style it and in wich direction I wanted to go. In the meantime I asked for advice in different internet forums. The so called "experts" had a different vision than mine. Most of them adviced me to cut leaders, trunks, and strictly stick to one of the stablished japanese styles....
But as I was the one that could look that schrub everyday, and the one that was going to assume any outcome, I just sticked to my own decisions (wich were not shared by other more seasoned practicioners).
In that loooong process of styling I think I developed my own sense of what I wanted (and not what other people envisioned for that tree). Now, maybe this is not the best tree I could have got, but , I've gained a lot of confidence in my own decisions and developed certain skills set, so I feel very proud of my work.

So when I thought what would happend should any other person styled that tree for me, I also thought I would not be the same bonsaier (good or bad) I am now
I believe most people who keep bonsai begin their journey in a vacuum with seemingly little or no resources or direction. When I started back in the mid 1990's, I lived near a few bonsai nurseries but there weren't any clubs to speak of, so I relied on books and bonsai magazines to guide me stylistically. Staring at the pictures of classical Japanese bonsai both inspired me and formed the basis for my preferences when it comes to styling material. My tastes absolutely lean toward classical Japanese, and that's how I've approached my trees when working on them. As it turns out, Tyler is classically trained, having spent 5 years as an apprenticeship in Nagano under Shinji Suzuki. Decades before I met Tyler, I was introduced to Shinji's wonderful trees in those old magazines... fantastic collected Junipers, pines, apricots, etc., styled to perfection... sublime. When the opportunity to work with Tyler came about, I jumped at it. Unfortunately, I had to move to another part of the USA last fall, and it's much harder to get Tyler here, but I'll continue to do so when possible... maybe only once or twice a year... but I'll continue to work on the trees by myself in the interim, tweaking the styling as I go as the trees grow and change from year to year :) .

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Yes, no issue and enjoy working with masters

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can understand and share your view, but only to a certain point.
I can't access any other training than watching the internet. So, I guess you're telling me I will never be able to make a bonsai that looks good....? I sincerously hope you are wrong.
I've been a self learning guy all of my life. Even in the university I did not attend the classes... I have never ever recived any formal education on how to read or write english.....never had any mentorship with anybody on how to photograph... but in fact I've made a livelihood from my docotorate in maths, can express myself in english, and have won several prices in photographic contests, so I think your vision is a little restrictive.
I know my horticultural background is poor, and for that reason I read every aspect here and on several places. Some of them are contradictorial, but I apply my common sense and know how to discerne the value of my sources of information.
As for my ability to train my eye for aesthetics, I've always thought this must be part of you in the first place. I don´t think anyone can have that ability just becuse he attended a workshop with an artist. He can improve it, but if it's not there at first....
Ok, so since you are unable to work with a pro at your location, why even worry about it? Why bring up what you knew was going to be a controversial thread? What purpose does it serve. You weren’t asking for others opinions, you just started bonfire.

I really think, deep down, you’re just jealous of those who can work with experts, and this thread is just ‘sour grapes’.

But, hey, you’re a smart guy… if you don’t think an expert can help you, more power to ya. Good luck with your trees.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have always thought to myself that the show is about the tree. It’s not about me or who styled it.
The show is for the viewer to see a great tree. If I had a world class tree that someone else made, then I would be selfish not to allow others to view the beauty.

D

Deleted member 32750

I took my Zelkova to several shows. The tree is 100 years old. It was in Kokofu the year I was born, 68 years ago. I in no way take credit for “it’s creation”. It’s been on the cover of several magazines, and featured in several books. I tried to highlight it’s history by displaying the magazines and books alongside the tree:

View attachment 448382

Dozens of people have worked on this tree over it’s lifetime. It’s simply not humanly possible to have a tree that’s been in training for 100 years to be worked on by only one person.

Over on the right, you can see some of the magazines the tree has been in. I think it’s fun to see how it has progressed under it’s many owners over the years.
Im assuming the zelkova from this photo posted on Bjorns instagram back in 2018 is your tree?
Quite the history this tree has. It’s definitely one of the top trees in all of the united states imo.
CD2A472D-48BB-4C2A-A4BA-4E89F5E30C4E.jpeg

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, so since you are unable to work with a pro at your location, why even worry about it? Why bring up what you knew was going to be a controversial thread? What purpose does it serve. You weren’t asking for others opinions, you just started bonfire.

I really think, deep down, you’re just jealous of those who can work with experts, and this thread is just ‘sour grapes’.

But, hey, you’re a smart guy… if you don’t think an expert can help you, more power to ya. Good luck with your trees.
Excuse me Sir.
I didn`t pretend to offend you or anybody. Just wanted to encourage others to be bold to take their own design decisions

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

It's only fueling fires for those who want to start them.

He brought up a legitimate topic that many of us have enjoyed debating and discussing, and have all done so quite civilly.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im assuming the zelkova from this photo posted on Bjorns instagram back in 2018 is your tree?
Quite the history this tree has. It’s definitely one of the top trees in all of the united states imo.
View attachment 448423
Yes, same tree.

it’s been worked by Bjorn, Tyler, Bill Valalvanis, Suthin, Yuji, and who knows how many others.

There’s no one person responsible for this tree. Each person who has worked on it has contributed something.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's only fueling fires for those who want to start them.

He brought up a legitimate topic that many of us have enjoyed debating and discussing, and have all done so quite civilly.
Yes, but he came in with a bias against enlisting the services of an expert. Remember the “chills running up his spine”? He didn’t come in asking for the pros and cons, he clearly came in with an agenda.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Excuse me Sir.
I didn`t pretend to offend you or anybody. Just wanted to encourage others to be bold to take their own design decisions
Look, I know English is not your first language. So maybe you didn’t intend to imply that you are superior to all of us who employ bonsai masters. But you did. All that talk about how you didn’t have to attend classes to get an education. You are “too smart” to have to attend class. Taught yourself English without a tutor.
I’m sorry, but just comes off as arrogant and belittling to those of us who like to learn from the experience of others.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you are mistaken it is a control thing meant to reduce sex urges as I took what I read in another post. Or maybe that was google translator issue as well.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, same tree.

it’s been worked by Bjorn, Tyler, Bill Valalvanis, Suthin, Yuji, and who knows how many others.

There’s no one person responsible for this tree. Each person who has worked on it has contributed something.
You should add my name to that list…. Cuz I cut a small branch off when you weren’t looking 😬.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
C
Look, I know English is not your first language. So maybe you didn’t intend to imply that you are superior to all of us who employ bonsai masters. But you did. All that talk about how you didn’t have to attend classes to get an education. You are “too smart” to have to attend class. Taught yourself English without a tutor.
I’m sorry, but just comes off as arrogant and belittling to those of us who like to learn from the experience of others.
Let me help you out…. Since you didn’t attend classes, I can tell you that often teachers will talk about topics that are not in the book. Or give examples from their life experiences and how they applied the knowledge they are teaching. They can give examples of when the subject matter did NOT work, as well. You miss out on a lot of information by skipping classes.

When you hire a bonsai master, the goal is not simply to get a styled tree. Oh, I supppose that can be the sole goal, but you miss out on a great learning experience. If the Master is removing a branch, you can find out why THAT branch, and not some other. Why was the wire applied that way and not some other? Bonsai trees are not styled in one go, that’s it, done. No, they get started in a direction. The tree has to respond and then sometime later, it’s time to take the next step. A Master can tell you when and what that next step should be. What to look out for, when the tree is ready, and when it’s not. Sorry, you just can’t get this kind of information from books. Videos are better, but nothing like the in person experience.

I teach bonsai classes. People bring trees to class and they tell me how they think they want it styled. I ask them “why did they pick that front?” And “did you look at the nebari?” And, “how tall do you want the tree?” And, “have you considered changing the planting angle?” All to get them to see tree differently. Sometimes we come back to their original idea, sometimes they see something in the tree they hadn’t considered.

You see, I have 50+ years experience messing with little trees. I can guarantee I can see things in trees, possibilities, that others might miss.Am I the best? By no means! I enjoy collaborating with others! They see thing in trees I missed!

I find one of the joys of bonsai is working with others on trees. Sure, some of my trees I’ve pretty much been the only one who worked on it… recently. Others are group efforts!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, but he came in with a bias against enlisting the services of an expert. Remember the “chills running up his spine”? He didn’t come in asking for the pros and cons, he clearly came in with an agenda.
He stated his thoughts, and asked for others'.
I don't see an agenda, I see a conversation. Some people agree, some disagree, and so far it's all been polite.
Let's keep it that way.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think it's necessarily that it's put on pedestal, at least not as cultural phenomenon. I think it's that interest in bonsai is exploding in the west (relatively speaking) faster than the preexisting market can handle. This leaves many of us with the mindset that we're on our own, there's no choice but to go from 0 to 100 by our own two hands.
That, unfortunately, can lead to a sort of "us vs them" thought process when considering those fortunate enough to not have had to do it that way.
There's the American cultural sense of "rugged individualism" that may play into it as well, and maybe that's why some people seem to get defensive about it.
That ideal definitely is put up on a pedestal, at least by some (including some in this discussion thread). I wasn't speaking of a generality, only that there exists some subset of people who regard it that way.

I don't really buy the argument about market forces being a significant factor in it. If the demand was really that high, Bjorn or Ryan or <insert well-known bonsai artist's name here> would have a bonsai TV show on the Discovery Channel, HGTV, or at least on PBS and you could attend beginner bonsai workshops at your local Home Depot. However, I think you're absolutely right about the attitude originating from the Western cultural value of "rugged individualism", which is why you don't really see it in Asia, where collectivism is more the norm.

Top Bottom