Would you pay $400 for this JBP?

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this Japanese Black Pine that was grown from seed, but I'm not very well-versed in bonsai prices. It's about 13" across and 16" high, including the pot. It would be my first JBP. Price is around $400 including shipping.

First picture shows what it looked like last year before being repotted. Remaining photos show how it looks now.

Thanks as always.

Attachments

• jbp-1.jpg
    jbp-1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 340
  • jbp-2.jpg
    jbp-2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 337
  • jbp-3.jpg
    jbp-3.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 299
  • jbp-4.jpg
    jbp-4.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 336

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well, "three strikes" and it's out. Once again, BNut members have saved me money! The trunk looks funky to me, but I know that's a "style" with these. I'll pass on it. Thanks again.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The wire scars and the inverse taper both bother me considering the asking price. May not bother some of you, again, just my opinion.
I was about to write the same. Also the roots don't look like what you would hope to see with a cutting grown tree... so this may just be a raw seedling. Wired for scarring and truck caliper, you've got inverse taper to address, and you may have a skinny nebari with poor roots. Also not sure what's up with the long candles. The tree wasn't decandled this year and it took a pretty big step backwards in terms of refinement.

None of these problems can't be fixed. But for the money, I'd expect to see a pretty refined tree for the size.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JBP pretty scarce these days. Looking for something a little more "bonsai" than "pre-bonsai"? Expect to pay a premium. Price as quoted is pretty much in the ballpark. Realize the shipping cost could be close to a quarter of the entire purchase.

Looks like NEBG bought some Suthin JBP'S......$1,500 and up......

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The wire scars and the inverse taper both bother me considering the asking price. May not bother some of you, again, just my opinion.
The reverse taper is what I meant when I said the trunk looked "funky" to me. The bulges on the side look "off" as well. I've seen some wacky looking JBP before, but this tree just didn't "feel" right to me when I first saw it initially. That's why I wanted some feedback. Wasn't sure if my gut was right or wrong.

I was about to write the same. Also the roots don't look like what you would hope to see with a cutting grown tree... so this may just be a raw seedling. Wired for scarring and truck caliper, you've got inverse taper to address, and you may have a skinny nebari with poor roots. Also not sure what's up with the long candles. The tree wasn't decandled this year and it took a pretty big step backwards in terms of refinement.

None of these problems can't be fixed. But for the money, I'd expect to see a pretty refined tree for the size.
I contacted the seller directly, and he specified that this one was definitely grown by him from a seed. He also said this is the first time he's selling his own trees. Despite my novice status with bonsai, I was also surprised the candles hadn't been reduced this year, especially since the tree was going to be put up for sale. While no tree will be 100% flawless, I want as few problems as possible to maximize my chances for success. I'm not experienced enough to be buying material that needs correcting or rehabbing. While I have successfully saved many a plant from the Clearance racks at Lowe's and Home Depot garden centers over the years, none of them cost $400. 😆

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not a bad tree but for that money I'd like something that looks more natural and less crafty. That's a personal preference.
The things you find "funky" are hard to solve so if that bothers you I'd suggest passing this one.

Reactions: n8

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was also surprised the candles hadn't been reduced this year

This is a good thing to me, as it will insure health for shipping and the new buyer.

This seems a seller sticking a toe in the water to get a feel for appropriate pricing.

In looking at the tree Lance posted for sale, it also seems this(your seller) is a pretty solid calculation of water plus time plus etc....that doesn't always work out in a market like this.

But it seems they should be encouraged to keep producing material, so I would offer what you feel it's worth, have this conversation with them, as it would probably provide rather valuable to you them and us.

Sorce

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I don't care for it. I'd pass.

JBP pretty scarce these days.

Why do you think that is?

I don't usually go looking for them, but my local bonsai-specific nursery seems to have a fair amount of quality JBP material available.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't import from overseas, for one.

California a different beast entirely. Getting shipped across the country isn't cheap, if you can find a connection. Not everyone lives where material is so available......

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Eh, not bad, but I'm looking for stuff older/larger than that. I'm also not really into shohin size bonsai either. I received info on a good source for JBP pre-bonsai in the $400-500ish price range that I'm looking into now. I bought three JBP seedlings last week off the FB 99-cent bonsai auction group, but I'm gonna put all those in the ground to grow out for quite a while. Might even end up using a couple as landscape trees in a few years.

I'm far more comfortable with deciduous trees compared to conifers, so I want something I can learn on. I have zero experience with conifers regarding choosing a front, branch selection, wiring, candle-reduction, etc. I don't want a JBP that's already well-trained and in a nice pot. I want to do all that training and eventual pot-picking on my own.

Last edited:

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is another one I didn't decandle this year. This one I actually brought to work with Jonas 2 or 3 years ago.
20210911_101209.jpg

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, those are much better examples of the size and development I'm looking for in the $300-500 price range.

Top Bottom