Would you pay $400 for this JBP?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have one similar to that one I got for $80 a couple of years ago. Not worth that price IMHO.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not worth the price in my opinion due to trunk scars and reverse taper. The auction pages on FB often inflate prices. I’ve sold plenty on there and have been surprised a few times on what people will pay.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Can't import from overseas, for one.

California a different beast entirely. Getting shipped across the country isn't cheap, if you can find a connection. Not everyone lives where material is so available......

My question was poorly written. I'm wondering why there would be a dearth of east coast growers for one of the most popular species.

I recently shipped a few hedge-grown boxwood from CA to MI and FL... and yeah, not cheap.

I'm getting another 50 JBP in the ground on the farm this spring, so just hang tight for 15 years and I'll do a truck stop tour.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Set up a deal?
Not just yet. Considering my budget, I'm trying to decide now whether I want to buy a field-grown JBP and literally do everything myself (which would be quite fun and educational) or instead buy a pre-bonsai JBP that's already had just a little bit of training done, such as being put in a smaller pot, wired a little bit, etc. I love field-grown material and the blank canvas it presents, but on the other hand, I have SO much material at home already that is either really immature or rough around the edges. Most everything is a long ways from becoming anything substantial. Going with pre-bonsai might be the better decision here.

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this Japanese Black Pine that was grown from seed, but I'm not very well-versed in bonsai prices. It's about 13" across and 16" high, including the pot. It would be my first JBP. Price is around $400 including shipping.

First picture shows what it looked like last year before being repotted. Remaining photos show how it looks now.

Thanks as always.
As Dr Phil would say: Are you NUTS? NYET!

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What are the thoughts on these two? First one (link) is $390 shipped. Second one (link) is $365 shipped. They're basically straight from the field, but would be ready for a training pot and branch selection early next year.

Attachments

• jbp1.jpg
    jbp1.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 90
  • jbp2.jpg
    jbp2.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 86

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
#2(the first one). more lower branches to work with. Plus you can put it in a pot of your choice
Right on. I'm not super fond of the training pots used on the other two anyway.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What are the thoughts on these two? First one (link) is $390 shipped. Second one (link) is $365 shipped. They're basically straight from the field, but would be ready for a training pot and branch selection early next year.
What is the pot size on these? One gallon can? What is the trunk gird?

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What is the pot size on these? One gallon can? What is the trunk gird?
Details are in the links I posted. First one has 2" base and is 20" tall. Second one has 2" base and 16" tall. It's also listed as being 13 years field-grown before being dug up and put into what looks like a tall 3 gallon pot. Assuming that guy's thumb is 1" across (my thumbs are exactly 1" across), then the trunk is at bare minimum 2" diameter, and possibly thicker. They definitely do no have little twigs for trunks.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seller out of their mind! MAYBE worth 25% that? Or less😜. See how long straight base is before bend. Aaack! Don't be desperate shopper/look for bargains/rescues/back row trees😉. Patience, Patience.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A few thought to consider on your quest.
Consider the proportion of the internode development! Do the sections become smaller as they progress up the trunk or are they inconsistent?
Does the thickness change in a natural way to introduce taper or does it appear like attached straighter sections? Some of that appearance can be just rough growth that will smooth out but in this case the section lengths are inconsistent and disproportionate. For example, if the first base section is 8 inches the next section should be less and so on and so on. This occurs more naturally with taper if the section change also involves a change of direction. It also helps if the grower retains two or three branches at the change of direction to aid in design on the outside of the curve with one branch becoming the new apical leader and another moving downward for part of the design. If a third branch is retained it can be used for design or as a sacrificial branch to aid in further taper development or thickness of the portion below that branch. The picture below shows an example of a carefully grown trunk using that method.

Attachments

• trunk development.JPG
    trunk development.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 64

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you should keep looking. Field-grown is only as good as the techniques used. You can still increase trunk girth with sacrifice branches in a "can". And keep the root-ball in "check".

"Aerial roots" are a feature of Figs. Not JBP. That's a poorly handled root sticking up off the soil.

DSC00265.JPG DSC00678.JPG DSC00868.JPG DSC00707.JPG

Top Bottom