Would you still bonsai if leaving country for good?

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Sadly me and my family (wife and 2 kids) are leaving Lebanon to Canada Montreal for good in about a year or little more, I don’t know Canadian rules concerning plant shipments if it’s allowed or if there are any restrictions, if anyone can help.

is it worth to start any new materials for the time remaining?

only positive thing is that I can work on maples there 😁

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd guess you could contact the AG dept. wherever you are moving to and see what the rules are. I'd imagine you'd have to quarantine anything brought from out of country though. Possibly also bare rooted for transport. Is it possible to work on selling your collection over the next year and using the money from that to fund a few trees further along in development once you get to Canada?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With everything else you're going to be dealing with, hassling with some plants that probably aren't going to make it is a headache not worth inviting.

Still Bonsai? Yes.
Same Plants? No.

Safe Travels.

Sorce

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I´ve always known we wouldn´t be living in Spain forever and now with covid we are determined to leave sooner rather than later and move to Australia.
There is no real practical way to get trees into Australia so always knew my trees will have to go somewhere else or even planted out but I have found it best to just carry on like normal.
If a tree comes up I like I will still buy it, still take cuttings, sow seeds and grow out nursery stock. I still am a beginner and there is always something to learn so if you pretend like you aren´t moving then you still make progress and have a happy place to be while the stress of a big move is happening.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
importng trees is only worth the hassle if you have very special trees AND have an importer willing to work with you. That being said.. What you keep in Lebanon might have a challenge surviving in Canada?

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'd guess you could contact the AG dept. wherever you are moving to and see what the rules are. I'd imagine you'd have to quarantine anything brought from out of country though. Possibly also bare rooted for transport. Is it possible to work on selling your collection over the next year and using the money from that to fund a few trees further along in development once you get to Canada?
With everything else you're going to be dealing with, hassling with some plants that probably aren't going to make it is a headache not worth inviting.

Still Bonsai? Yes.
Same Plants? No.

Safe Travels.

Sorce
Yeah just like Sorce said I don’t think they’re gonna make the bare rooting and quarantine anyway, I’ll try to make money of them as much as possible.
thanks for your replies.

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
I´ve always known we wouldn´t be living in Spain forever and now with covid we are determined to leave sooner rather than later and move to Australia.
There is no real practical way to get trees into Australia so always knew my trees will have to go somewhere else or even planted out but I have found it best to just carry on like normal.
If a tree comes up I like I will still buy it, still take cuttings, sow seeds and grow out nursery stock. I still am a beginner and there is always something to learn so if you pretend like you aren´t moving then you still make progress and have a happy place to be while the stress of a big move is happening.
I wish i could but it’s hard to pretend you aren’t moving, when planning long term I can’t get it out of my head, I’m a very beginner but made a bond with the trees even though they’re nowhere near bonsai.
I’ll work on what i have gathering knowledge for a new start.
thanks for the reply

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
importng trees is only worth the hassle if you have very special trees AND have an importer willing to work with you. That being said.. What you keep in Lebanon might have a challenge surviving in Canada?
You’re right no special trees and don’t think they will survive unless indoor.
Thanks

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would imagine Australia is an absolute nightmare to take anything in with thier strict laws to protect the countries natural species. I don’t have any special trees but I’d still be pretty devastated to even rehome boring stock trees that are growing out, I get attached to my leafy buddies and would be sad to part with any no matter how plain or generic 😂😂😂🤪.

Ah well I am sure you will find some amazing trees back in Oz to rebuild your collection. Same with Canada for @YAN. I wish you both the best of luck and a smooth transition for your move when it goes ahead.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I wish i could but it’s hard to pretend you aren’t moving, when planning long term I can’t get it out of my head, I’m a very beginner but made a bond with the trees even though they’re nowhere near bonsai.
thanks for the reply

I guess it´s not really prentending but I have had a few years to come to terms with it already, it gets easier over time. It´s a bit like I have already mourned their loss so now can concentrate on enjoying them and treating them properly so will continue to do so.

I would imagine Australia is an absolute nightmare to take anything in with thier strict laws to protect the countries natural species. I don’t have any special trees but I’d still be pretty devastated to even rehome boring stock trees that are growing out, I get attached to my leafy buddies and would be sad to part with any no matter how plain or generic 😂😂😂🤪.

Ah well I am sure you will find some amazing trees back in Oz to rebuild your collection. Same with Canada for @YAN. I wish you both the best of luck and a smooth transition for your move when it goes ahead.

Yeah plenty of hoops to jump through, even the dog will need 6 months of vet visits and shots before it will be allowed to even travel there and then he gets quarantined on arrival. Any bonsai pot or things made of wood or organics all need to be treated and certified too. Trees can be replaced so I look at it as gaining knowledge to hopefully be better when it comes to having new material that I can´t get here. That part excites me in knowing I can have a new beginning.

Also cheers, hopefully things improve and borders start opening but at least it gives us preparation time.

Reactions: YAN

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just go local as much as possible. These moves to drastically different regions.. Why bother. Go to a new continent, get new species to trial!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
thanks for the reply

Though it will be a little sad leaving your trees behind, think positively! It will be a time of new beginnings - for yourself personally as well as for your bonsai interests! Think about the maples... or for that matter all the cold hardy conifers you will now be able to keep!

I left some trees behind in SoCal, either as gifts or because they were too large to easily move. It makes me happy to think they are still there in someone's care.

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
Though it will be a little sad leaving your trees behind, think positively! It will be a time of new beginnings - for yourself personally as well as for your bonsai interests! Think about the maples... or for that matter all the cold hardy conifers you will now be able to keep!

I left some trees behind in SoCal, either as gifts or because they were too large to easily move. It makes me happy to think they are still there in someone's care.
Thanks for the supports, i wonder what pros feel when leaving old trees behind.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the supports, i wonder what pros feel when leaving old trees behind.
I guess the real pros buy-work-sell in a speed that makes the connection one to break. And every once in a while a tree comes by that stays. In a way it is like any other artform. You spend time with it. But if you have to make a living, you know from the start: It is a short time together, time spent so someone else can have a nice piece of living art.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Montreal? From Lebanon?

Wow!

Montreal is beautiful and your family will love it there.
Great bonsai "museum" in Montreal.
Smoking "tree" should be legal. But sorry, no imports please.
I think you should have a wider selection of tree specie/material to work with in Canada.

How do you feel about cold weather?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I doubt any trees that are able to survive in Lebanon would be able to handle the climate difference in Montreal.
Not mention you probably wouldnt be able to import them anyway.

Best to start off fresh with species you know can handle the climate where youll be at.

Thats one hell of a move, good luck with that!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you're ok with the idea of growing from seed, and still would like a piece of the old country, it's not too difficult to hide a fistful of seeds from your favorite species in your luggage. Or do it legitimately. Seeds will weather a quarantine easier, and depending on the species may have lower restrictions anyway. Just a thought.

I've spent almost two years in your region, civilian and military, and I've always heard wonderful things about Lebanon. I always hoped for more peaceful times so I could visit. It's a shame you have to leave. I wish your family the best fortunes.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Look at a move as an opportunity.

I went through a parallel experience when the plumbers turned off the water while working on pipes and forgot to turn on again when they left for the weekend. We were also away and when I returned the vast majority of my rubbish bonsai were dead. Initially devastated but after all the anger and blame comes the realization that here is a great opportunity. I was able to devote the skills and knowledge I had developed to developing much better trees instead of wasting more time on trees with sentimental value but no real potential.
Convert current stock into cash then use that to start again with trees that have more potential and will thrive in the new climate.

All the best with the move.

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
Montreal? From Lebanon?

Wow!

Montreal is beautiful and your family will love it there.
Great bonsai "museum" in Montreal.
Smoking "tree" should be legal. But sorry, no imports please.
I think you should have a wider selection of tree specie/material to work with in Canada.

How do you feel about cold weather?
yeah weather’s gonna be a major issue for me but kids will adapt 5-4 years old and wife’s already canadian, many close friends are already there for years so i hope all goes well.

indeed many more species suited for bonsai there but longer dormancy and slower growth.

Top Bottom