Would you?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I found this tulip poplar leaf in my backyard while putting some smaller trees away this afternoon, and that’s a size 12 sneaker next to it. I’ve got a love/hate relationship with the species… Magnificent, fast growing and extremely large once mature, so perfect for a large area, but weak wooded and extremely messy, with seeds and leaves clogging gutters and getting tracked through the house for 4 months starting in the late summer. every year, I’ve got to pull out or chop down scores of volunteers in my yard, that if left unchecked, will be 30 feet tall in less than four years. Anyway, I do not have a tulip poplar in my bonsai collection and never... ever... will:).
A066D2F3-CF81-46B6-B393-A9A18FB2402D.jpeg

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nope. I have Tulip Poplars and a sweet gum that shade my deck. Cleaning crap off my deck is a year round chore. All are coming down in the near future.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I found this tulip poplar leaf in my backyard while putting some smaller trees away this afternoon, and that’s a size 12 sneaker next to it. I’ve got a love/hate relationship with the species… Magnificent, fast growing and extremely large once mature, so perfect for a large area, but weak wooded and extremely messy, with seeds and leaves clogging gutters and getting tracked through the house for 4 months starting in the late summer. every year, I’ve got to pull out or chop down scores of volunteers in my yard, that if left unchecked, will be 30 feet tall in less than four years. Anyway, I do not have a tulip poplar in my bonsai collection and never... ever... will:).
View attachment 342269
The floral anatomy is cool on the tulip trees, and the orange/green color combo is unique and nice. But we just had a massive one cut down from our yard because they're a disaster, branches snap in storms and in general very messy. But they are tough trees and pretty most of the year

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like 2 peeps that identify as a leaf.

Sorce

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have no reason to hate them other than than leaf is just not right = kill 'em.

I did discover a nice old one here in town. I almost changed my mind about them, but then my shoes were all sticky after walking under it.

Show me a piece of paper and you'll be showing me the only good use for any poplar.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
extremely messy, with seeds and leaves clogging gutters and getting tracked through the house for 4 months
Get yourself a London Plane/Sycamore for comparison sake. About 9 months of messy. They drop leaves throughout the year, bark season sees sheets of bark raining down, then the seed balls disintegrate, and come spring there's a fuzz that clogs better than the leaves or bark.
Both interesting trees though.
CW

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Big Poplar.JPG
@Dav4 Would you what, kill it/them or attempt bonsai?
This one over 100' tall on my folks property sported a clear trunk to > 30 feet to 1st branch.
I'm positive it would've brought a decent price for lumber before being struck by lightning,
so it was a free lightning rod as well as other closer by trees.
I'm not much a tree hater, but understand 1st handed how soldiers sprouting can ruin a lawn quickly.
For instance, I love Aspen, but they don't belong in the lawn, in the foundation, under the porch, under the house...
so some weed killer fixed that.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 342595
@Dav4 Would you what, kill it/them or attempt bonsai?
This one over 100' tall on my folks property sported a clear trunk to > 30 feet to 1st branch.
I'm positive it would've brought a decent price for lumber before being struck by lightning,
so it was a free lightning rod as well as other closer by trees.
I'm not much a tree hater, but understand 1st handed how soldiers sprouting can ruin a lawn quickly.
For instance, I love Aspen, but they don't belong in the lawn, in the foundation, under the porch, under the house...
so some weed killer fixed that.
I've got a tulip poplar about the same size in the drainage easement next to my property, maybe 30 yards away from my foundation. It's probably the parent tree for 90% of the seeds that fall into my yard. Honestly, I wouldn't cut it down even if I owned the land it resides on. It's a magnificent tree and represents much of what I've loved about trees in general my whole life. I just wouldn't ever... ever... ever... give it's progeny any bench space :).

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've never thought of them as messy trees, but then, in my area, the three prevalent species are tulip poplar, sweet gum, and sycamore, and the tulip poplar is the cleanest of the three.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've got a tulip poplar about the same size in the drainage easement next to my property, maybe 30 yards away from my foundation. It's probably the parent tree for 90% of the seeds that fall into my yard. Honestly, I wouldn't cut it down even if I owned the land it resides on. It's a magnificent tree and represents much of what I've loved about trees in general my whole life. I just wouldn't ever... ever... ever... give it's progeny any bench space :).
Amen to that. However after seeing storm and fire damage over the last couple of years
it makes me rethink my safety zone and possible future property we retire to.
DSC_3330.JPG DSC_3334.JPG
This poplar at my neighbors 2 doors down did SIGNIFICANT damage when a super charged bolt of lightning
hit it last Summer. Another free lightning rod, but not as attractant as Pin Oaks.
As you can see the tree exploded and caused damage to the garage his truck and windows in the house
and created a professional removal fee. Had it not split the trunk like this I would have taken it down for him.
The entire upper 2/3 of the trees mass/weight was resting on the smaller buckled portion of the lower trunk.
I've never thought of them as messy trees, but then, in my area, the three prevalent species are tulip poplar, sweet gum, and sycamore, and the tulip poplar is the cleanest of the three.
I second that. Sycamores are certainly atop the messy tree list in my neighborhood.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Amen to that. However after seeing storm and fire damage over the last couple of years
it makes me rethink my safety zone and possible future property we retire to.
View attachment 342615 View attachment 342616
This poplar at my neighbors 2 doors down did SIGNIFICANT damage when a super charged bolt of lightning
hit it last Summer. Another free lightning rod, but not as attractant as Pin Oaks.
As you can see the tree exploded and caused damage to the garage his truck and windows in the house
and created a professional removal fee. Had it not split the trunk like this I would have taken it down for him.
The entire upper 2/3 of the trees mass/weight was resting on the smaller buckled portion of the lower trunk.

I second that. Sycamores are certainly atop the messy tree list in my neighborhood.
For what it’s worth, when I bought the house I currently live in 11 years ago, there was a 70 foot tall poplar right next to our deck, along with several slightly smaller ones all within 20 or 30 yards… They have all been cut down at this point, and I won’t let any ones get close to mature size within that 30 yard radius if they’re on my property.

Top Bottom