WP in ground "style" too far gone ?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Actually....

The nebari is probably the first place to look at s tree to determine the front. The nebari will always be visible. So, it’s always important. It’s “less” important on the ancient yamadori because they often have a lot of deadwood, and deadwood tots when in contact with the soil. But for pretty much else, the nebari and low trunk dictate the front.

You see, you can put branches anywhere. Trees back bud, and if they don’t, we can graft.

Next....

Doing the “pie slice” thing with the roots is really not the best way. Oh, I know, it’s in the old books. But, it’s an obsolete tecchnique. Doing pie slices may have you cutting roots you should keep, and keeping roots you should cut.

You have done enough to this poor tree. Leave it alone for a while.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Actually....

The nebari is probably the first place to look at s tree to determine the front. The nebari will always be visible. So, it’s always important. It’s “less” important on the ancient yamadori because they often have a lot of deadwood, and deadwood tots when in contact with the soil. But for pretty much else, the nebari and low trunk dictate the front.

You see, you can put branches anywhere. Trees back bud, and if they don’t, we can graft.

Next....

Doing the “pie slice” thing with the roots is really not the best way. Oh, I know, it’s in the old books. But, it’s an obsolete tecchnique. Doing pie slices may have you cutting roots you should keep, and keeping roots you should cut.

You have done enough to this poor tree. Leave it alone for a while.
Amen to that Adair. I fully intend to let it rest.
I will be easier on the next alternate pie slicing (starting further from the trunk) because it holds the biggest roots.
I expect 3 years from begin to lift is quite premature. It will be lifted and placed back in the ground
the year after the next root pruning per my anxiety and lack of faith. I'm not in a hurry, but have
limited space for such projects, so the sooner I can lift it the sooner another will take its' place :)
I just wanted to be clear with Potawatomi why I was not putting bends into the new trunkline yet.
It's all good...I hope. Thanks for stopping by!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This EWP did not survive my Autumn work. Pushed it too far in a single go of it I guess.
Was really looking forward to lifting this tree in a couple years, that will happen sooner than planned unfortunately.
On an upswing though, this relieves a spot in ground for development of another project in my limited full Sun exposure area.
1557073126822.png
It has turned even more brown than this in the last 2 weeks since I took this pic.

Big lesson learned from this, is not to set and forget for crazy stupid growth. It needs to be put in check over and over again
throughout the 10 years it was in the ground. I have one of these dwarf EWP left in a glazed bowl...not sure what's going to go here just yet...

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
dsc_3038-jpg.240940

Took advantage of a wet rainy weekend to lift this. The 12x12 floor tile was still in place till I had to sever the tap root with a mattock.

Now I've some Cu wire to collect and add to the heap.

If I were to do this again, I would reduce in 3 stages rather than one, in one year increments.

Looking at the large initial trunk removal here (base of the now new trunk) and the roots directly below that (or lack thereof)
this too probably led to the demise if there's an architectural root to limb symbiosis that comes into play in EWP.
This was not taken into consideration when I remove the pie shaped wedges from the root system.

Top Bottom