Wrightia religiosa -- SO EXCITED!!!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
So a few years ago I began to really love the way Wrighta religiosa pictures looked. Fairly often my friend Cliff Chong from Malaysia posts pics of his work that I just love like that Shohin mulberry. He does a lot of work with Wrighta religiosa and I officially fell in love! Well at the time I could not find any here in the United States. They are still pretty rare. Anyway about 5 years ago i asked him if he could send some seeds and he did! Well my wife got cancer, we were still homeless and pretty much everything went to hell so the seeds went into a box in a garage that we were storing things in.

Fast forward five years. I find the seeds in a box. Now I have been reading about some cool research about some VERY old seeds sprouting after soaking them in a few different things. I also read Dr. Norman Deno's books (posted in the resources section) and I learned that the two main factors that keep seeds from germinating are 1) hydration and especially 2) oxygen.

Soaking seeds in a peroxide solution does three thing 1) kills pathogens, 2) provides hydration and 3) oxygenates the seed thus dramatically increasing the germination rate of difficult to sprout seeds.

Long story, I decided to soak these seeds that have been an a garage where it easily gets 125F and higher in the summer and low 20's in the winter for the past 5 years. Guess what? It's working!

IMG_20180709_091052636.jpg

Here is a picture of one of Cliff's trees. At a whopping 5cm, it's easy to see why I like them! Looks much bigger I think.

Cliff Chong Wrighta 1.jpg
張珺理 -Wrightia religiosa 水 梅 - Style Shohin 小品盆栽 - Height 13 cm - Planted in Japanese Pot - Photo taken by YCLee, April 2013

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Ya coulda asked me, buddy. I could've hooked you up.

LOL well I did not know that! If I have anything you might want we could maybe work out a trade??? I just think the germination after that long is kinda cool... Plus Cliff's trees though... He's a cool cat.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Planting indoor or outside?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
LOL well I did not know that! If I have anything you might want we could maybe work out a trade??? I just think the germination after that long is kinda cool... Plus Cliff's trees though... He's a cool cat.
I do cuttings. When I have some, I'll let you know.

Top Bottom