WTB Ficus & Elm

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am looking for willow leaf ficus and Chinese elm.

These are both very easy to propagate and are fast growers so I am assuming they should be decently inexpensive (Not cheap, frugal XD).

I am looking for large caliper cuttings and further along material. Just to give you an idea of what type of cuttings I'm looking for, I am hoping to train them as such:
http://ofbonsai.org/techniques/shohin/the-willow-leaf-ficus-–-the-best-ficus-for-shohin-bonsai

For the further along material, I am open to all offers of varying shape, sizes, and levels of development!

PM me or post in the comments.

Thanks, Joe

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Joe I would suggest you contact the good folks at Wigert's Bonsai. Let them know what you are looking for. (Our March meeting is coming up. There are several who are especially skillful/knowledgeable about Ficus. Ask at the meeting.)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I have a few nicely developed elms for sale, if you are looking for one that's good already.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Don, what do you mean by 'good already'?
I am looking for something with the trunk almost fully developed, while the branches needing work. Roughly $100 give or take some, not including shipping or pot.
I assume by good you mean very far in development? If so it is probably on the higher price range and as this is my first elm I'm looking for something a little less developed to work and learn on.
I will call widgets maybe tomorrow, thanks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I am looking for something with the trunk almost fully developed, while the branches needing work. Roughly $100 give or take some, not including shipping or pot.
I assume by good you mean very far in development? If so it is probably on the higher price range and as this is my first elm I'm looking for something a little less developed to work and learn on.

Yes. I meant developed.

barely

Sapling
Reaction score
Have a good variety of chinese elms - pre bonsai. Great trunks and movement. Tree sizes range from 1 ft to 3 ft tall. If still interested, let me know. I am in So Cal. Can get you pix.
Thanks,
Barry Altshule.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Wow, you really know how to charm vendors, don't you?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow, you really know how to charm vendors, don't you?
I don't need to charm vendors. They don't like me I will just take my business elsewhere. Its none of your business how I respond to vendors. And if anything it was more of a compliment. Don is known for high quality and very developed trees; I was just looking for a basic structure.

Can you really not let this go? Did I make you angry by providing an actual unbiased review of a product I bought from your buddy? Did I not say that the others plants I received were great?

Take that stick out. It doesn't belong there.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nope. I'll post as I see fit, and you can whine all you want, when you post here publicly, you make it everyone's business...and also reveal a bit about how you are to deal with. In this sense, it is not a hangover as much as a continuation of your spoiled, world owes you something behavior.

You didn't learn manners from your parents, so the world's going to be a tough place for you kiddo. Say please say thank you. Be nice, be polite. How do you think you're going to get treated well by any of the (few to begin with) sellers when you act this way? It's not like Don, Eric, and Brent have shops on every corner. Prices go up when people know how you are to deal with. That tidbit is free. Good day.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can supply a 2 inch American elm stump for $100.00
No branches whatsoever. You pay shipping. No pot. In the spring. Fresh dug.
That is what you get for $100. 00 give or take.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If I offended you Don I apologize as It was not meant to come across as rude. Messaging online is much different than talking in person and it can cause a mis-interpretation of what I really meant.

@Brian Van Fleet what makes you think I have an attitude as you described? The world owes me something? Where did you even pull that from? Or are you just throwing insults without a basis?

And now you are talking about parents teaching me manners? You tell me to be nice and have manners yet you have never displayed such behaviors here. Hypocritical, no? Did you not initiate this in the first place? Big fish Little pond is the mentality I get from you.

Maybe your parents have something to teach you as well.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I can supply a 2 inch American elm stump for $100.00
No branches whatsoever. You pay shipping. No pot. In the spring. Fresh dug.
That is what you get for $100. 00 give or take.
That's more along the lines of what I am looking for. I assume pictures won't be available for a while?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haven't even located the tree yet but will have some in the spring. Been out looking at elms and Scots pines to collect. Have just about found everything I need to dig to fill some orders. I plan on getting a bunch ahead though for people like you who would like them in the fall. Or spur of the moment.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Brian Van Fleet what makes you think I have an attitude as you described? The world owes me something? Where did you even pull that from? Or are you just throwing insults without a basis?

Read it again, there was no insult, just a reflection of your behavior. Telling someone to "take that stick out" is an insult. Really want to know the basis for my comments? Here are a few quick examples:

How about your "My questions thread", which runs 115 posts, includes dozens of your questions answered, not one "please", and goes to 20 posts before you utter the first of only three "thanks". First instance of you publicly calling out a vendor (Mark Comstock) for not responding to your requests as fast as you expected.

Then we have another recent request, and some expectation that Bill Valavanis would be at your beck and call to help you run down a few little junipers from a screen shot. No please, no thanks, no Bill. Hmmm...

Same with the pine ID thread. No please, no thanks. Even a student who owns a beach house can be polite.

Our infamous "ripped off" thread. A constant barrage of more questions, requests, and jabs at Brent and those defending him. It makes no sense to crater the guy over a $30 tree that was exactly as described.

And a little arguement on stratification. Understanding the label would have saved you the heartburn of arguing on the wrong side of it.

You may not learn it today, but one way or another, you'll learn that how you treat people is important...and no, this answer to your question is not treating you badly, it's a favor, so you can forget that offensive, I'm not biting on that. Be nicer, nobody here owes you anything.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Man BVF spent a lot of time researching and linking those threads. Lol. Hes really got a hard on for you. I'm pretty sure he ignores me so don't take it to hard. He's sensitive. Thinks he's doing the world a service by sharing his knowledge

I'll dig you a cedar elM for 100 bucks. And if you don't like it you can post on here and say Todd sent me this crappy tree. But I'll keep the 100 bucks

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man BVF spent a lot of time researching and linking those threads. Lol. Hes really got a hard on for you. I'm pretty sure he ignores me so don't take it to hard. He's sensitive. Thinks he's doing the world a service by sharing his knowledge

I'll dig you a cedar elM for 100 bucks. And if you don't like it you can post on here and say Todd sent me this crappy tree. But I'll keep the 100 bucks
BVF for President!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Read it again, there was no insult, just a reflection of your behavior. Telling someone to "take that stick out" is an insult. Really want to know the basis for my comments? Here are a few quick examples:

How about your "My questions thread", which runs 115 posts, includes dozens of your questions answered, not one "please", and goes to 20 posts before you utter the first of only three "thanks". First instance of you publicly calling out a vendor (Mark Comstock) for not responding to your requests as fast as you expected.

Then we have another recent request, and some expectation that Bill Valavanis would be at your beck and call to help you run down a few little junipers from a screen shot. No please, no thanks, no Bill. Hmmm...

Same with the pine ID thread. No please, no thanks. Even a student who owns a beach house can be polite.

Our infamous "ripped off" thread. A constant barrage of more questions, requests, and jabs at Brent and those defending him. It makes no sense to crater the guy over a $30 tree that was exactly as described.

And a little arguement on stratification. Understanding the label would have saved you the heartburn of arguing on the wrong side of it.

You may not learn it today, but one way or another, you'll learn that how you treat people is important...and no, this answer to your question is not treating you badly, it's a favor, so you can forget that offensive, I'm not biting on that. Be nicer, nobody here owes you anything.
Why are you being so petty?

If I recall correctly, the stick insult was a response to a Sarcastic comment (which indeed was an insult) that you could have kept to yourself. You had two options and you chose to start things.

I assume that with the comment about a 'student who owns a beach house' you were trying to imply I am a spoiled brat or something similar? Is that really the level you are scooping to BVF? Again, petty. And for your information it's actually my parents beach house that they rent btw so the next time you make an assumption about me You will at least have all of the information first.

What are you trying to prove here anyway? Are you just trying to discourage me somehow or...

You seem to be stuck on that phrase about everyone owing me something. Explain maybe?

I could retaliate and quote several threads like you but I don't have anything I feel I must prove about you. Do know however that I can think of plenty of instances where you were not so kind or where you never said please/thanks.

I did not call him out or 'jab' at him. I cannot believe you are so sensitive about people who do anything but worship Brent. How many times must I say I think he is a very kind and responsive man whom I am even buying a few hundred dollars worth of stock from in December? I talked to him recently and he responded promptly. Even gave me good advice.

I was arguing on the wrong side huh? I was the one who had the undeniable proof that they do not need stratified yet the "correct" side could only quote questionable websites? I have had over 3/4 of the seeds sprout without stratification. Eric also says you don't have to stratify and does not himself. If someone online told you to jump off a bridge would you?

Do you know what you are doing when it comes to trees? Yes you obviously do. But does that justify your arrogance?

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
As for the seeds, the reference manual did say 'stratification' wasn't necessary with jbp.

BTW to stratify means to put into layers. The way nurserymen used to treat seeds was to prepare seed beds with layers, like a layer of sand, a layer of compost, a layer of mulch etc. That's where the term stratification comes from. Now most people just let the seeds absorb water (sometimes hot water or acid is used to break down the seed coat, or it is mechanically 'nicked') and store cold for a certain period. That's why it's probably better to say pre treat seeds... you're not necessarily 'making layers' of anything ....

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
OP, I have tons of ficus. Message me and I can send you pics of what I have in the $100 range.

Top Bottom