WTB Prunus Mume cuttings

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried this last fall where I took 3-5 inch cuttings in fall, sealed the top of the cut and placed in fridge with spahnum moss. In spring they had calluses over so I dipped in hormone and put in regular bonsai soil. This was like feb.

Just had the last one wilt. Most when pulled from fridge had callused over and were pushing buds. I don’t think I did the faftercare properly and should have placed in pearlite instead of bonsai soil. I also never treated with daconil. I did spray some perioxide mix sometimes but I think the biggest problem was the soil and I just didn’t put that much effort into them. I had a bag around for humidity but only opened like once a week and watered.

1C0F2169-8ADD-4804-A69E-5CC327541137.jpeg

DB35B4C2-9BB6-44E4-B96D-BF0117E15D33.jpeg

F0AB8195-B1C8-4160-9477-201420FD4F68.jpeg

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m going to try again this year. Same thing but pearlite and daconil. Probably most twice a day too.

O, I think that cold snap in March might have messed them up some too. They were outside during that time and it probably hit 29 degrees.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
I haven’t really tried to be honest. Some years they don’t seem to root though. I’ve heard that from a variety of full-time propagators who’ve had success in the past.

Air layers are easier imo. Less chance of fungal infection.

Top Bottom