WTB Shimpaku Juniper cuttings

Reaction score
Trying to start a few thousand shimpaku's from now through mid spring for our massive garden project. Interested in getting as many cuttings as possible (rooted or not rooted, I'll take them fresh if you can box them with wet paper towel or peat moss). Probably not many of you cutting/trimming this time of year, but i wanted to put some feelers out and see what i can drum up.

Interested in buying by the flat rate box full of cuttings. Leave a reply and let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Joe, If you have some Kishu cuttings you would be willing to part with I would be interested. Itoigawa as well.

Let me know., Thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks source, I'll reach out after the holidays. Appreciate the tip. Happy holidays!!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I certainly do not have thousands! LOL. Might have a couple rooted ones to offer though... to get a bunch going like that, you would be better off asking someone with a bunch growing in their garden... I have a few but most are not in need of a big haircut right now

Reaction score
Any is better than none Eric, especially when thousands is the goal, every one counts. Just message me with a price after the holidays. I just bought 10 5yr old shimpaku's last night that will arrive this week some time that i am going to butcher up into hopefully at least 100 cuttings to get me started.

No cutting is too small in my book,and it dosn't have to be rooted, just fresh enough so we can root it on our end, if it has enough stem to root I'll give it a go. We have 20 acres to fill and we want to get as many as we can into the fields to start putting some growth on them so in a decade we have some wonderful stock to work with. So even if you give yours little haircuts this season if they will fill a USPS small flat rate box, I'll take it. We got around 3,000 JBP, JWP, JRP started 2 years ago in the same fashion, we grabbed everything we could get our hands on, and started about 2,000 seeds this past year that will go into smart pots, then the field over the next few years.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Any is better than none Eric, especially when thousands is the goal, every one counts. Just message me with a price after the holidays. I just bought 10 5yr old shimpaku's last night that will arrive this week some time that i am going to butcher up into hopefully at least 100 cuttings to get me started.

No cutting is too small in my book,and it dosn't have to be rooted, just fresh enough so we can root it on our end, if it has enough stem to root I'll give it a go. We have 20 acres to fill and we want to get as many as we can into the fields to start putting some growth on them so in a decade we have some wonderful stock to work with. So even if you give yours little haircuts this season if they will fill a USPS small flat rate box, I'll take it. We got around 3,000 JBP, JWP, JRP started 2 years ago in the same fashion, we grabbed everything we could get our hands on, and started about 2,000 seeds this past year that will go into smart pots, then the field over the next few years.
Your doing what I wish I could do! Lol
Good luck, I'll keep my eye out around here.

Aaron

Reaction score
Your doing what I wish I could do! Lol
Good luck, I'll keep my eye out around here.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron,

It was a long, LONG, time dream. When i was younger and going to college i spent 3 summers in Japan over the summer breaks trying to soak up all the bonsai knowledge i could. But when college was done i had to enter the workforce and put away for retirement which put all but a halt on my bonsai obsession. About 5 and a half years ago we started our little backyard garden of trees, and i suffered heavily from propagation syndrome, It got so bad i didn't even have room to walk around in the garden. then about 3.5 years ago my wife got pregnant and I decided to start planning for our daughters future that moment. We decided we were going to buy some land and work on starting the first major bonsai garden in the state of Maine that we could eventually open to the public and draw in tourists to this far upper part of the state that even the lower part of the state forgot exists let alone the rest of the country. All these thousands upon thousands of seedlings, and cuttings don't amount to much now, but by the time our daughter is done with college many of them will be 25+ years old. If she decides to follow in the "family business" although it's more like "dad's retirement fun" she will have a ton of stock to make beautiful trees out of hopefully drawing in enthusiasts the world over. By the time our daughter is ready to retire herself most of these trees will be 50-60 years old, which will make for a heck of a huge collection of very old bonsai.

It's been a long time dream, and although its getting more expensive than i could have ever imagined, we're just going to keep chipping away at it as we can afford in hopes that some day we can open the doors to 20 acres of bonsai paradise to the entire world. I haven't seen nor heard of a bigger open to the public bonsai garden in the USA yet so hopefully in the future it will be our claim to fame. "The largest bonsai garden in the USA" (not including all the nursery's and stuff, there are some huge ones of those in the USA)

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
you're welcome to PM me woody, I have some rooted kishu and a few shimpaku as well as mother plants with plent to prune off....

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Check with mark comstock out of Connecticut. He posts a lot on the Facebook auction sites.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And maybe Gary Thompson on the. auctions site on Facebook. He was selling what seemed like boatloads of potted shimpaku starters, but that was some time ago.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
you're welcome to PM me woody, I have some rooted kishu and a few shimpaku as well as mother plants with plent to prune off....

novice here.. have one fukien tea.. but have more in the early 2000.. but i have been seeking Shimpaku as of late..

what is Kishu?! similar to Shimpaku.. ?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
novice here.. have one fukien tea.. but have more in the early 2000.. but i have been seeking Shimpaku as of late..

what is Kishu?! similar to Shimpaku.. ?
Similar to shimpaku yes but a little tighter and I believe darker green as well? Brian Van Fleet's blog has a good explanation of the types if you want to learn more.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know I love the aspirations you have. I am just wondering, still.. How are you going to manage this. Not just the sheer volume of trees to be maintained (A friend of mine has a few thousand trees for bonsai in ground, as part of his tree nursery, and is really running out of time when pruning starts, let alone rootwork).

In the end, the value of the trees might not be the volume, ut the quality of the stock. I would expect that a well-cared for tree may bring in 100 times as much as a neglected shrub. Are you shure volume is the way to go?

Also the way you source your stock.. You are just planting whatever you can get your hands on. Would you not be better off getting 100 cuttings of a few top responding trees, propogate, and in 5 years expand your stock based on those lines? In other words: Ensure you get quality material first, and build your stock from that. THis would also spread the work to be done, as the trees will be in varying development stages, allowing you a shifting work schedule & plant rotation along field of varying maturity & planting density.

just some thoughts.

Shim

Seed
Reaction score
WTB Shimpaku, kishu and itoigawa cuttings

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this Woody Carverton is a fictional character, as I understand the ensuing drama unfolding.

Top Bottom