WTB sumac

tainoson

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i've actually been thinking about collecting some to experiment with since it grows like weeds up here. hope you find some suitable pieces, can't wait to see what you make of it!

micahmcgrath

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Got plenty of seedlings growing in my yard! Assuming that's not really your speed though... Haha!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Are you looking for rough, recently collected stock? If yes, I have acres of staghorn sumac, Rhus typhina. Its an invasive in my blueberry fields.
I can collect rough stock for you from the farm in SW Michigan, later this month, or in spring if you are interested. It is in a sandy area, comes out of the ground essentially bare root. It suckers from the roots. I could send you a few chopped off stumps and enough roots to get a few pots worth growing. The autumn colors are exquisite. The growth habit is rampant.

I also have poison sumac, Toxicodendron vernix. If you want the Toxicodendron, I'll charge you double, as I would have to suit up in protective gear to dig it. We only have a small patch of the poison sumac in a swampy area, so we don't have to "deal with it" most of the time. The autumn colors are as beautiful as staghorn, though slightly different. They keep a touch of green, along with the fire reds, purples, oranges and yellows. Berries dangle and are white.

I do not have any that are "domesticated". So if you want rough freshly collected stock, let me know.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i've actually been thinking about collecting some to experiment with since it grows like weeds up here. hope you find some suitable pieces, can't wait to see what you make of it!

They grow quite a bit here as well. I imagine the ones I see are all Rhus Tiphina or Staghorn sumac.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Are you looking for rough, recently collected stock? If yes, I have acres of staghorn sumac, Rhus typhina. Its an invasive in my blueberry fields.
I can collect rough stock for you from the farm in SW Michigan, later this month, or in spring if you are interested. It is in a sandy area, comes out of the ground essentially bare root. It suckers from the roots. I could send you a few chopped off stumps and enough roots to get a few pots worth growing. The autumn colors are exquisite. The growth habit is rampant.

I also have poison sumac, Toxicodendron vernix. If you want the Toxicodendron, I'll charge you double, as I would have to suit up in protective gear to dig it. We only have a small patch of the poison sumac in a swampy area, so we don't have to "deal with it" most of the time. The autumn colors are as beautiful as staghorn, though slightly different. They keep a touch of green, along with the fire reds, purples, oranges and yellows. Berries dangle and are white.

I do not have any that are "domesticated". So if you want rough freshly collected stock, let me know.

Thank you Leo! I wanted to make small arrangements with them. I saw many in Japan but I think they use Rhus succedanea which I think is a much smaller and daintier variety. But I may try some of those larger Staghorns for bigger arrangements. So maybe I'll take you up on that offer? I agree, I love them in Autumn with those deep red plume-like flowers and brilliant colorful foliage. I attached one that was created by David Easterbrook with staghorns.

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 11.31.31 PM.png

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Sounds good.

PM me to remind me in March. March-April is when soil thaws on the farm.

This is an image of Rhus typhina from Bonsai Tonight, Jonas Dupuich.
Rhus-Staghorn-sumac-PBM-JDupuich2016 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

There is a similar image of a Rhus species in Kimura's garden, usually when seen you think it is only a foot or two tall. Then I saw a picture with Kimura next to it, it was on the ground, and it was taller than Kimura. The photos were deceptive.

Some species are smaller. Rhus copallinum, a North American species, by Young Chloe
Rhus copallium Shining sumac-kusamono by young cloe (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

and Rhus glabra by Dave Paris
Rhus glabra - smooth sumac Dave Paris 2016 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

I would not seek out the Japanese Wax tree, Rhus succedanea, as it is known for causing dermatitis similar to poison ivy. In fact its current botanical name has been changed to Toxicodendron succedaneum, the same genus with poison ivy. It can be kept smaller, but it can cause dermatitis. Example by Haruyoshi

Rhus or Toxidendron-seccunden-Haruyoshi-FB2014 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looking for sumac. Anyone has it for sale or know of anyone selling it?

Thanks guys!
As pre Bonsai or nursery material ... there is a nursery in called -Edge Woods Of The Woods Native Plant Nursery, it’s a native nursery close to me in Orefield PA. They have Fragrant Sumac, Gro lo Dwarf Fragrant Sumac, Winged Sumac and Staghorn Sumac. Cool nursery , I’ve gotten alot of native plants for Bonsai here, they hold events for Bonsai Society of Lehigh Valley.

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sounds good.

PM me to remind me in March. March-April is when soil thaws on the farm.

This is an image of Rhus typhina from Bonsai Tonight, Jonas Dupuich.
View attachment 333407

There is a similar image of a Rhus species in Kimura's garden, usually when seen you think it is only a foot or two tall. Then I saw a picture with Kimura next to it, it was on the ground, and it was taller than Kimura. The photos were deceptive.

Some species are smaller. Rhus copallinum, a North American species, by Young Chloe
View attachment 333405

and Rhus glabra by Dave Paris
View attachment 333406

I would not seek out the Japanese Wax tree, Rhus succedanea, as it is known for causing dermatitis similar to poison ivy. In fact its current botanical name has been changed to Toxicodendron succedaneum, the same genus with poison ivy. It can be kept smaller, but it can cause dermatitis. Example by Haruyoshi

View attachment 333404

Excellent Leo, thank you!

I will PM you closer to spring. Perhaps by then I may have found some but I'll let you know.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
As pre Bonsai or nursery material ... there is a nursery in called -Edge Woods Of The Woods Native Plant Nursery, it’s a native nursery close to me in Orefield PA. They have Fragrant Sumac, Gro lo Dwarf Fragrant Sumac, Winged Sumac and Staghorn Sumac. Cool nursery , I’ve gotten alot of native plants for Bonsai here, they hold events for Bonsai Society of Lehigh Valley.

Thanks! I saw they have a website so will check it out. I may have to try a few on line nurseries as well.

I do have a few of the Gro-lo sumac (Rhus aromatica) which has been quite difficult to find in my area. One is already on its way to become a small twin trunk bonsai. Spectacular color as with all sumacs.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is my gro-lo sumac today in it's fall dress. In the second pic you can see above it a large sumac of undetermined variety, I dug it up off the turnpike in Pennsylvania one time on my way home off a tour long ago.
Gro lo seems to twist itself around on it's own, and makes lovely shapes without any pruning. The third pic shows a large bank of them around a planting up on a hill that has spread out on it's own from a few plants. This variety seems to get much better fall colors than my regular stag horn varieties, which mostly do red.

IMG_2880.jpg
IMG_2879.jpg
IMG_2881.jpg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here is my gro-lo sumac today in it's fall dress. In the second pic you can see above it a large sumac of undetermined variety, I dug it up off the turnpike in Pennsylvania one time on my way home off a tour long ago.
Gro lo seems to twist itself around on it's own, and makes lovely shapes without any pruning. The third pic shows a large bank of them around a planting up on a hill that has spread out on it's own from a few plants. This variety seems to get much better fall colors than my regular stag horn varieties, which mostly do red.

View attachment 333521
View attachment 333522
View attachment 333523
Is it easy to get permission to dig up on the turnpike? I eyed up alittle sumpin sumpin racing up to work every morning.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is it easy to get permission to dig up on the turnpike? I eyed up alittle sumpin sumpin racing up to work every morning.
This was a loooong time ago, like late 70's. In the 70's you didn't need permission for anything... LOL.. I know better now, but I was young and crazy then. I saw a huge sumac one time in PA, it was off the side of a gas station parking lot, there was a ravine that it was growing up from, I swear that thing was 30' down in the ravine, and a good 20' above my head.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This was a loooong time ago, like late 70's. In the 70's you didn't need permission for anything... LOL.. I know better now, but I was young and crazy then. I saw a huge sumac one time in PA, it was off the side of a gas station parking lot, there was a ravine that it was growing up from, I swear that thing was 30' down in the ravine, and a good 20' above my head.
Yeah lol late 70’s sheesh I wasn’t even born till 1991 ... they don’t allow for any collection on Turnpike anymore , guess they like trees to get pollution with fuel and dirt.... PA sucks for permission. Luckily I got permission to collect in some state parks north of me.. but everywhere else is off limits here in PA.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I see a lot large stands of staghorns growing by the side of rt 80. I stare at them every autumn.

@JudyB That's a really nice sumac Judy (the smaller one). It almost looks like tiger eyes which is a very nice cultivar. I don't think it's a Gro-low though. It only grows to be about 20" tall and really wide. The leaf looks quite different than your typical sumac. Below is what gro-low looks like :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 7.50.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 7.50.03 PM.png
    650.2 KB · Views: 29

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see a lot large stands of staghorns growing by the side of rt 80. I stare at them every autumn.

@JudyB That's a really nice sumac Judy (the smaller one). It almost looks like tiger eyes which is a very nice cultivar. I don't think it's a Gro-low though. It only grows to be about 20" tall and really wide. The leaf looks quite different than your typical sumac. Below is what gro-low looks like :)
Ah you are right, it’s been so long nice I planted these I’d forgotten that the gro low didn’t live but the tiger eyes that I planted t the same time really did take over that area. Thanks for the correction! Hope you’re doing well!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ah you are right, it’s been so long nice I planted these I’d forgotten that the gro low didn’t live but the tiger eyes that I planted t the same time really did take over that area. Thanks for the correction! Hope you’re doing well!

Sure no worries Juds. Doing well so far. I hope all the same for you ❤️

I am surprised your Gro-low did not make it. They seem pretty tough. BTW I would not mind a tiger eyes myself!

Top Bottom