WTB sumac

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sure no worries Juds. Doing well so far. I hope all the same for you ❤️

I am surprised your Gro-low did not make it. They seem pretty tough. BTW I would not mind a tiger eyes myself!
I can get you a sucker if you want, they pop up all along that line. They do seem to have the best fall color.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You know they (Tiger Eyes) sucker wildly and can't really be herded any better than cats. They also don't live a long time, either. I have dug up and potted 3 or 4 each of the last couple years that were out of place. I lost the top 3/4 of the biggest this year and a main branch of another one last year. I put in 4 or 5 twelve years ago and just when they got to the right height they started to lose upper branches, here and there, like a Gordy Howe hockey smile...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You know they (Tiger Eyes) sucker wildly and can't really be herded any better than cats. They also don't live a long time, either. I have dug up and potted 3 or 4 each of the last couple years that were out of place. I lost the top 3/4 of the biggest this year and a main branch of another one last year. I put in 4 or 5 twelve years ago and just when they got to the right height they started to lose upper branches, here and there, like a Gordy Howe hockey smile...
Mine don't seem to be terribly short lived where I have them, they have been planted up there for at least 20 years, maybe more. And the same actual trunks, they don't just die back and start over. This is on a pretty dry hill, maybe they just really like the place they are.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Felt compelled to share my tiger eyes in fall colors. Lovely accent in the yard. BA18705B-DDB1-423B-A1B0-E49BE902C1E4.jpegF048508F-E792-41D1-8929-D99A6CA9074A.jpeg
Does anyone have experience air layering these?😀

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Felt compelled to share my tiger eyes in fall colors. Lovely accent in the yard. View attachment 333676View attachment 333675
Does anyone have experience air layering these?😀

In my experience, removing the wild form of Rhus typhina from fields, that any fragment of root greater than pencil diameter will work as a root cutting, developing a new growing top fairly quickly. I suspect but don't know from experience, they should air layer easily. Or it might be easy to just take a surface root or two and use them as your root cuttings.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
In my experience, removing the wild form of Rhus typhina from fields, that any fragment of root greater than pencil diameter will work as a root cutting, developing a new growing top fairly quickly. I suspect but don't know from experience, they should air layer easily. Or it might be easy to just take a surface root or two and use them as your root cuttings.
Thank you Leo, very good to know.
I was curious Because often you see a long trunked sumac With long ‘arms’. I assume that’s necessary to support the huge compound leaves and allow space for them to grow.
I like the base of this tree, but would like to see it with less length. 😊

Top Bottom