WTB Tiger Bark for newbie, or...?

max.r.lawrence

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey Bonsai Nut,

I've been hard at lurk here for a bit. Seems like a really kind helpful community here. I like it, so much of the internet gets so... internet-y.

I'm looking for some material to start a tree or two. I was able to get a couple bonsai pots from a fortunate craigslist ad. I've got some lava rubble, Napa spill clean and a bit of wire. Now I'd like to get an indoor tree or two started. I keep planted aquariums so I've got supplemental lights sorted with some of my extra lights.

So I'm keen to try a tiger bark ficus but I'm interested to hear what you might be willing to part with. I'm open to cuttings or 'pre-bonsai' tree but keen to hear what you have to offer.

Looking forward to hearing from you all

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
It is very difficult to kill a Ficus, unless you drown it or freeze it.

max.r.lawrence

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haha, thanks for the reply! That fact is what I am banking on as a newbie, now I just need some material to get things rolling

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
If you add your location, people will be able to offer better advice, based on your climate. It doesn't really matter much for ficus, but will for other trees.

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I see @sorce is slacking on being the welcome committee, so welcome to crazy. I'd be happy to send you something, but I haven't had much luck with cuttings except for jade. Maybe try @milehigh_7 , he sells pre-bonsai.

max.r.lawrence

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haha, that's funny Carol, @sorce gave me a 'welcome to crazy' on my other thread about using osmocote. I'll message milehigh. Anyone else out there with anything or some good ideas for me?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Make sure that Napa is #8822 or it could be clay. I will have some time later tonight if you want to shoot me a message.

max.r.lawrence

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beat me to it, Milehigh, thanks for connecting. It is indeed #8822, I’m hoping it works well mixed with lava.

max.r.lawrence

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh that’s good to know. I’d read some people like it, I figured I could hardly afford not to try it out. You mix with lava?

Top Bottom