Wtf is this?!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I was walking through the neighborhood today and saw this growth coming from an otherwise normal deciduous bush of some sort. The branch started as a normal branch and then fanned out to this shape with buds all over the fan. It was so strange, i had to take a picture!

Attachments

• 73ED00D7-A5EE-468B-8D30-D9126DBD4C6D.jpeg
    73ED00D7-A5EE-468B-8D30-D9126DBD4C6D.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 213
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The phenomenon is called 'fasciation'. Happens to stems and flowers as well.
I had occur on a barberry in my landscape near the street - lots of rubbernecking occurred that summer!
Thanks for the clarification. Im excited to watch it grow this season

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The phenomenon is called 'fasciation'. Happens to stems and flowers as well.
I had occur on a barberry in my landscape near the street - lots of rubbernecking occurred that summer!
It’s amazing on flowers too. Thanks

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was walking through the neighborhood today and saw this growth coming from an otherwise normal deciduous bush of some sort. The branch started as a normal branch and then fanned out to this shape with buds all over the fan. It was so strange, i had to take a picture!
I have a dragon willow that has those characteristics.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
and I have a JBP with fasciation. It was supposed to be my seed tree but flowers irregularly due to the contorted new growth.

Also seen it on asparagus and quite a number of weed species. I can't find any definitive reason for fasciation. Do any of the plant experts here know any more?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a desirable trait in many succulents and cactus and in many plants like the Japanese Fantail Willow. The one in the picture is a Fantail Willow. Many flowers, such as celosia commonly exhibit this trait. Anyone that spends a great deal of time with plants is going to see this from time to time whether intentional or not. I have seen it many times over ther past 60 years, but generally less often than witches brooms. It is caused when the merristem cells grow in a flattened shape rather than the usual cone shape. It is a mutation that some people hate and some find fascinating.

Top Bottom