Shohin
Reaction score
are you sure they're not scorched?

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mine has it too. I don't think it's a fugus. Sometimes it happens at this time of the year when it's has long exposure to the sun.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
What is it? Where is it? What's been done with it? What soil? What watering regime? What fertilizer? What pesticide?

We need a lot more info before we can diagnose . . . and even then . . .

octoberust

Seedling
Reaction score
JKL is right, but if it is an elm they tend to be susceptible to leaf scorch this time of year. I purchased some shade cloth to help mine recover and it is working wonders. I hope it is that easy for you, and good luck regardless.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This is your K. hornbeam...is it in a lot of sunlight? I keep mine in mostly shade this time of year. When do you water, any chance it's late at night when you get home and it sits wet all night? How about a better shot of the base, does it have some dark mildew creeping up the section of trunk that's most-shaded?

Yours is possibly from the same batch of Bonsai West's import KH as mine.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
yup. Sure looks as if its been sun scorched to me. Get it into partial shade. Morning sun is best because it is much cooler than afternoon. It should be fine then.

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yes it is my hornbeam it is in shade only geting sun maybe in the afternoon and morning for a few hours i water most of the time in the morning when the soil feels sandy to me i fertilize about every two weeks but lately i havent with bonsai pro from brussels my maple is right next to it and it is healthy i think it is a fungus because when it put out new growth some of the growth was already affected now no new growth and about 25 percent is burnt like this maybe more also white tiny aphid looking things are under some of the leave but very few now since ive been spraying it with fungacide with every 4 to 5 days

Reaction score
some times the chemicals will beside killing the bugs, also burn the plant as well... I had a fruit tree that had white-flys, similar to what you are going through and I sprayed it with a product that was safe to use on it... It killed the bugs and dropped all but two leafs. They have since come back.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is your K. hornbeam...is it in a lot of sunlight? I keep mine in mostly shade this time of year. When do you water, any chance it's late at night when you get home and it sits wet all night? How about a better shot of the base, does it have some dark mildew creeping up the section of trunk that's most-shaded?

Yours is possibly from the same batch of Bonsai West's import KH as mine.

I got a KH a few years ago from BW and it has been doing the same thing every year. I bought it in the winter so there were no leaves on it at that time. I have been keeping mine in the shade as well but still does the same thing every year.

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys hey Dave do all the leaves fall off what happens thanks for the replys

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I wouldn't worry about it. The tree looks pretty healthy otherwise, I am pretty sure it is just leaf scorch as others implied. My KoHo looks the same, but is still growing. It gets full sun from about 8am - 2pm, and its been pretty darn hot lately. The new growth looks fine, so I am not worried.

DSC_0113.jpg

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks guys hey Dave do all the leaves fall off what happens thanks for the replys

Hi lupe. No, all of the leaves do not fall off. It always sends out new growth and looks healthy otherwise. I do believe it is from the sun with the three years of experience I have with my KH. New growth appears every spring so far. I have had similar issues with my trident maple. I posted some photos of my KH about 3 years ago hear on B-nut. I think you will be OK - just not a lot of dircet sun. Mine likes dappled sun and shade.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a fungal problem. Hornbeam can get it when they're kept too wet, especially on the leaves. Remove the damaged leaves and watch the watering, keep water off the leaves, especially if you're watering before nightfall.

Also, if this tree is kept underneath a shade tree, that may also contribute to the problem.

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
okay guys alot of the leaves have fallen off but the tree has stabilized and still has a good deal of healthy leaves on it how do i prevent dieback on the branches it turns out my mother was the problem as she sas watering her plants and watering mine at night time when i cleary told her a million times not to well thats besides the point thanks for all the reply

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Earlier in the year i cut off dry withered leaves and leaves with cocoons.

I also removed large shading leaves and cut back twigs that were too long or too vigorous.

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
here it is what it is looking like now

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 33

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think you will be fine,could be a simple issue of to much water and shade as mentioned,mine has looked like that late in the summer i believe the leaves on mine just get tired from the sun and humidity in my area,alot of the native trees also suffer from this around my house this time of year.

Top Bottom