WTH is this thing?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is on a ficus microcarpa, looks like a hole in the trunk, or a portal to another dimension. Is this normal?

Attachments

• DSC_1187.JPG
    DSC_1187.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_1186.JPG
    DSC_1186.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 61

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Not clear what you are referring to🤔
I see spaces betwen trunk and roots - no problem.
Maybe there is a dark split in the lower left root? Could be 2 roots growing close together? Could be damaged root with interior rotted out? Neither are life threatening.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a mango seed.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not clear what you are referring to🤔
I see spaces betwen trunk and roots - no problem.
Maybe there is a dark split in the lower left root? Could be 2 roots growing close together? Could be damaged root with interior rotted out? Neither are life threatening.
FeedMe.PNG

This. It's part of the trunk, it's wood & about half an inch deep.

Yes, portals to other dimensions are quite normal.

Just trying to avoid this

hungry.gif

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This. It's part of the trunk, it's wood & about half an inch deep.
Part of the trunk or part of a root? Looks like a root growing out of the trunk just above and down to the soil??
In any case part of the trunk/root has been damaged and the bark died. Ficus wood is soft so rots easily and caused a hollow in the wood. Surrounding bark is healthy and has started to heal up along the edges - looks a little like lips.
My guess, from the callus along the edges, is that damage occurred months, maybe years ago. It is not immediately recent and is also not fatal. Sometimes damage like this is not noticeable because it is covered by the old bark for months or sometimes years until the bark gets pushed off or rots away.

Top Bottom