Wulfskaar's Quercus lobata (Valley Oak) from acorn

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've really been wanting a Valley Oak, so I found some and grabbed a handful of acorns in fall of 2021. They were planted on Halloween. After being in soil for months (MUCH longer than Coast Live Oak's take) 2 of them finally breached the surface of the soil! They have been growing quickly ever since.

Please note that I could not find any pictures online of Quercus lobata that were less than several months old, so now you have them!

2/2/2022
IMG_20220203_134430.jpg

2/8/2022
IMG_20220208_085427.jpg

2/11/2022
IMG_20220211_093850.jpg
IMG_20220211_093900.jpg

2/14/2022
IMG_20220214_083613.jpg

3/1/2022
IMG_20220301_134742.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So promising/exciting to see new growth. Spring beckons😌. One suggestion please would be to wire as soon as hardened off/woody any section of trunk intended to keep. Sooooo much easier than any time later when thicker/harder to bend. By end of growing season will be set and can remove wire. Thin twigs/trunks set soon as next section grows out to harden off☺️.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've really been wanting a Valley Oak, so I found some and grabbed a handful of acorns in fall of 2021. They were planted on Halloween. After being in soil for months (MUCH longer than Coast Live Oak's take) 2 of them finally breached the surface of the soil! They have been growing quickly ever since.

Please note that I could not find any pictures online of Quercus lobata that were less than several months old, so now you have them!

2/2/2022
View attachment 422338

2/8/2022
View attachment 422339

2/11/2022
View attachment 422340
View attachment 422341

2/14/2022
View attachment 422342

3/1/2022
View attachment 422343
I love watching seedlings grow. They are on a mission and fast too. Nice little trees!
I wish my ficus religiosa seedlings would take off like that.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I love watching seedlings grow. They are on a mission and fast too. Nice little trees!
I wish my ficus religiosa seedlings would take off like that.
They took so long to push up above the soil that I'm surprised at how fast they have shot up. They are native to my area so that helps a lot too!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They took so long to push up above the soil that I'm surprised at how fast they have shot up. They are native to my area so that helps a lot too!
Late Winter earliest Spring spent growing tap and side roots THEN sprout has foundation to push🥳.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They haven't really grown since that 3/1/2022 picture. The leaves are a much darker green now, but no new growth.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A straggler jumped up within the past few weeks. I did collect acorns from 2 different trees. This one came very late and the leaves are slightly more lobed than an older one, which is in the same pot with darker leaves. :)

IMG_20220714_135830.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A straggler jumped up within the past few weeks. I did collect acorns from 2 different trees. This one came very late and the leaves are slightly more lobed than an older one, which is in the same pot with darker leaves. :)
The leaves can change from year to year - and even from branch to branch on the same tree. They can be deeply lobed and smooth, or have shallow lobes and be pointier. In some instances I have had leaves that are almost without lobes. I was convinced in one case that the nursery sent me the wrong tree :) However as they get larger they tend to start looking more similar. I think I have about 30 atm because I am planning on putting a number of them in my landscape.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The leaves can change from year to year - and even from branch to branch on the same tree. They can be deeply lobed and smooth, or have shallow lobes and be pointier. In some instances I have had leaves that are almost without lobes. I was convinced in one case that the nursery sent me the wrong tree :) However as they get larger they tend to start looking more similar. I think I have about 30 atm because I am planning on putting a number of them in my landscape.
I noticed that on the parent tree of my Shreve Oaks (https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/oak-id-help.53051/). On one branch I took (with acorns attached) there were variations. Some were smooth and some serrated. The young ones are all serrated.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Year 2: After months without leaves, they are now coming back into leaf! I tossed some wire on this one. The others will be left alone for now.

IMG_20230331_091001.jpg

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
😫😢😤

This morning, stupid squirrels have eaten ALL but one (the one pictured above) of my Valley Oaks that I've been growing for a year! 🤬

I have place a cage around my last (and best) one.

Icarus

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
U.K
I feel for you. I grew an English oak from acorn for a school 365 day photo diary for my daughter, got to about 150 days and my local squirrel ate ours.

I couldn't find any acorns to start again as wrong time of year so bought a 50 seed packet of Sequoia dendron giganteum. 24 seedlings. After two years I have 22.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I feel for you. I grew an English oak from acorn for a school 365 day photo diary for my daughter, got to about 150 days and my local squirrel ate ours.

I couldn't find any acorns to start again as wrong time of year so bought a 50 seed packet of Sequoia dendron giganteum. 24 seedlings. After two years I have 22.
Luckily for me, I planted several and my best one is still there.

I hope you plant some of those sequoias and make a nice grove of giant trees!

Top Bottom