Wych Elm (Ulmus Glabra) "Stumpy"

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another tree I bought from @jeremy_norbury . I loved it for its canopy and such a strong, powerful and still character full trunk.

Its also a Wych Elm, which is different to my usual Chinese Elm's, little bit of variety. I love an Elm. This tree is much more along in development than my current collection though, so its a very different learning experience for me.

Naked picture, credit to Jerry, this is his picture from his Flickr:
10292087 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr
[October 29th 2017]

DSC_0044 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0043 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0045 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[May 13th]

These apparently flower, unsure whether thats attainable with Stumpy but that would be amazing to see.
Some Chinese Elms drops leaves in Autumn and some don't. I wonder if this species will, or if it might depending on location/health. It clearly has dropped, as seen in pics but whether it does with me, I don't know. If anyone knows about this particular species, please let me know.

My next steps are to allow growth till Autumn, hopefully leaves will drop (I could find out, if it doesn't, whether I am ok to remove by hand), then evaluate what there is to do. I know Jerry has been working this tree and building up its ramification, so I hope to respect his work and continue that.
I am really interested to see this tree without its leaves, after this season with me. Get a real look at what I can do.

Comments, style wise, health, etc, always appreciated and encouraged.
Thank you

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some updated pics, still yet to decide next steps apart from the cleaning up and trimming down of branches too long.

It has lost pretty much all leaves already, which I thought early but looking at the branches, buds they all look healthy and I'm not currently concerned.
It is full of buds, which again, seems early but will assume this is just part of the species. Hopefully @jeremy_norbury can tell me more :)

From 13/10/ -
DSC_0077 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0078 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0081 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0083 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0080 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Nice one. A little work on the transitions and this tree is top shelf

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I didnt see this one until just now Conor.
Nice and twiggy!
Jerry has some cool trees huh?

He does. Dunno if it’s just me but I think his trees are great. It helps that we have Jerry here, see his experience and vast number of trees he has. Can tryst the seller! Lol (advert over).

Yes nice and twiggy, hope I can learn some different things from this, ramification and refinement techniques that I’ve so far not done.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice one. A little work on the transitions and this tree is top shelf

Transitions as in, shaping of canopy? I’m looking forward to trimming it in winter then that explosion of growth (hopefully small) in spring.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It just looked like there were some stumpy branches that needed some taper cuts to ease the transition to the next level of branching.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It just looked like there were some stumpy branches that needed some taper cuts to ease the transition to the next level of branching.

Ah more than likely.
I’ll maybe post closer cleaner pics soon. A lot of it is thick wood growth with multiple thin branches coming off, so you are probably right with transitioning. Currently it’s harsh.
Perhaps all needs a short cut back for taper, a few of those over the year (or 2, unsure how vigourous they are), and then we are looking good.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some clean up down, small bit of wire to move certain branches in to place for a more full canopy.
Looking forward to the coming season. No wire should be needed in future, if I keep up with the clip and grow, however due to its already ramified structure, its difficult to see much when its in leaf!

DSC_0253 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0252 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0251 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This guy needed a repotting...
DSC_1416 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1415 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1414 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

The pot has always seemed very small for the tree but it suits it SO WELL, I love this tree in this pot. The pot is so strong and masculine and it makes this tree look like a great big bruiser, even though its one of the smallest trees I own.
Saying that, I broke the bloody pot trying to get it out!!!
DSC_1417 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

After I was finished crying about it.. I have glued it back together and put the tree back in it. I fully expect in hot and cold temps, as the roots expand it may break again.. But it is what it is, will tackle it when the time comes. I potted it with the smallest molar clay that I have, I have had great results in past using small particle size with the small trees. It should create finer roots which directly impacts size of leaves.

I think the tree is looking great, ready for leaves and more ramification. This tree has always been well developed and ramified but I would like more and I have wired a few branches to move them in to better positions. Have to remember to remove wire.
DSC_1437 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1436 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

So many buds!!

DSC_1413 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dang, didn't do a good job of updating threads much this year.. even though I've been at home the whole time. Embaressing...

This one's leaves have changed and started dropping.

DSC_2509Editted by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2509Editted by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2513 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

It also took a tumble from the top shelf, its brother, a chinese elm planted in the ground and 10ft tall, was blowing about violently in the wind and took it out.
Resulted in a somewhat significant branch being broken, so now I have a hole.... I was planning to cut back hard in Winter anyway, so hopefully this won't be such a big thing. I'll stick something over the hole to seal, for the winter though, as no active growth is happening now to help seal it.

DSC_2511 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2512 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

I also took the time to go round with a toothbrushe and remove the build up of calcium, from my tap water, on the trunk. Can see the difference from above pics and these ones. It did a good job.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Did a better, harder cut back on this tree, where needed. I am hoping for some back budding but mostly just to get a new lease of life in the tree. Its a small root system and it doesn't show a lot of vigor, so I would like to wake it up a bit.
Very difficult tree to prune.. small and good dense twigging... less so now though.

(Tree was wet to begin with)

DSC_2838 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2839 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_2845 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2847 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2849 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Some branches may still be a tad too long but I am expecting back budding, and they will have only been kept because they have good movement already.

I enjoy this tree, its a minor one and not a lot of maintenance, a nice small tree. Will look good at the end of this season. It grows a little slower than other Elms but we will see how it responds. Its an Elm, nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom